Another Cookie in the Batch | Teen Ink

Another Cookie in the Batch

After number four, the names don’t matter. Being number five, my name has no significance. I wasn’t named after an ancestor or a special person. My name was formed by two other names: “Kate” and “Lynn.”

Being brought into a family of eight, I have only been another child. As my mother calls me to help load the dishwasher, she first yells out each one of my siblings names until realizing who I am. Whether my name is Michael, Jenna, or Katelyn does not matter. To my parents, I’m only another mouth to feed, more insurance to pay for, and more advice to give. Does it matter what I say, what I think, or how I act? No, I’m just one of six children.

In a world filled with billions of others, standing out as an individual is difficult. I’m not a world leader or a celebrity, I’m just another kid. The rest of the world won’t remember my name. Why declare it? Who cares what my name is? To them, I blend in with the crowd as another human being. Does it matter what I say, what I think, or how I act? No, I’m just one of 6.7 billion.

Enrolled at a school like mine, where it’s impossible to walk through the hallways without bumping into another student, my name doesn’t matter. When others see me in the halls, it does not matter to them what I’m called. It’s as if we’re all chocolate chip cookies. All the same. Each chocolate chip cookie doesn’t have a unique name. Once one was baked and named, the others did not matter. They became part of another batch. I’m only another junior; another student in the batch. Does it matter what I say, what I think, or how I act? No, I’m just one of 700 others.

My name is Katelyn. I am known to be clumsy. My favorite color is yellow and I inherited eyes of clear blue. I am number five of six children. Currently, I’m one of 6.7 billion people in the world, and the best chocolate chip cookie in the batch. One day, my name will matter. One day, I will meet the goals I have set for myself. Then, will it matter what I say, what I think, or how I act? Absolutely.

Bastille98 said...
Bastille98, Creve Coeur, Missouri

"I wonder how Dallas is doing today..."

I love this short piece because it is EXACTLY how I feel everyday. Good job:)