Nightmare | Teen Ink

Nightmare

Nightmare

I can remember waking up at nights from all the arguing and fighting. My little sister and I would always be too scared to go out there and see what was going on. So we would just try our hardest to fall asleep. I was only about 8 years old so I really didn't really think much of it. The only thing I did know was that I had a lot of hate for HIM. The next day I woke up and went to go talk to my mom. I saw her face, she had a purple eye. I asked her about it and she said that she fell and hit herself on a shelf in her room. So I believed it, I didn't know what to think. I had a step dad who was practically drinking allot of the time.

My poor mom was always so stressed. When he drank something would always happen. Either it was an argument or someone (which was most likely to be my mom) would get hurt. I had a stepbrother and sister that would live with us. They were HIS kids. One night HE was drunk and while in my room I heard arguing. I heard a hit like if someone had just dropped a big huge book onto the floor. I kind of knew what was going on but I went out to the living room to see what had happened. My stepbrother was on the floor, I knew HE had hit him and by the sound of it, it was a hard hit.

When my mom saw that I was just staring at my stepbrother on the floor she quickly hurried me to go back to the room, and so I did. I was always scared that one day he might hurt me or my little sister, and that day did come. HE had told my little sister and I to stay in our room, I don't remember why. I had to go to the restroom real bad, so I opened the door and was looking to see if HE was anywhere in sight. I didn't see him so I went slowly to the bathroom, but as soon as I left that room, I felt a hand grab my arm.
I looked up and it was HIM, he was asking me why was I out of my room. I told him I had to go to the restroom real bad. He had a belt and hit me with it. I started to cry and as soon my mom heard me, she rushed to get me and told HIM to leave me alone. I was so scared and had to go bathroom real bad that I had wet myself. My mom cleaned and changed me and I went to my room. This nightmare that I felt my family and I were living soon had come to an end.
One night my mom received a phone call for some reason; I had this gut feeling and knew that it had to do with HIM. My mom got off the phone she said that HE was taken by the police for being in a bar fight. When she said that I was so happy and felt a big relief for not just me but for my mom also, knowing that he was most likely going to be in jail for a long time. What I didn't know was that he was in this country illegally. When the police took him to jail they to found that out and after being in jail for a while, he was deported to Mexico. I remember going to see him in jail, but what I didn't know was that, that would be the last time I would ever see him.
Years have passed by, my mom now is married, and I could see just by looking at her that she is happier than ever. So am I and that to me is the best thing ever.!

2cool4skool said...
on Sep. 9 2009 at 11:26 am
This was a tremendous piece. Nice work!