A Right Way to Write? | Teen Ink

A Right Way to Write?

July 30, 2009
By Anisha Patel BRONZE, The Woodlands, Texas
Anisha Patel BRONZE, The Woodlands, Texas
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

I have found that writing is something so abstract, so artistic, that one can't really define a set of rules or regulations. In specific, I'm talking about blog writing. I've been reading a lot of blogs lately, and have noticed a few things, things I like and dislike about them. And I am going to set up some boundaries for my future blog-writing endeavors.
1. Why do people write blogs?
People usually write blogs to talk about their day, what's bothering them, rant, all that stuff. But very commonly, bloggers have entries on certain "things" they notice in the world that they are unhappy with. And how they want those "things" to change. People write for change. People write because they have an opinion and want to do something about it. And while sitting on a laptop writing about an issue won't solve it, having others read it is the first step. Writing is proactive, and blogging shouldn't be viewed as "complaining." It should be viewed as "doing."
2. No put-downs
I wasn't sure what to title this "number 2 section" because it is such a complicated 'rule' to explain. In many blogs I have read, the writer tends to "put down" a specific group of people that they aren't happy with. Labeling high school groups, talking about the vanity of society, the usual thoughts that go through our head on a daily basis. I don't like putting this stuff in my writing, and this is why. I want people to read my stuff, in hopes that it will actually reach them. If you put all these "put-downs" in your writing, it forces people away, and makes them defensive, like you are personally criticizing them. Now maybe you are, maybe you aren't, but no one wants to read something about what they're doing wrong. I used "put-downs" in my earlier works and they weren't as widely accepted as my newer articles. Well, that's an understatement...a slight euphemism. But anyway, rants against certain types of people can stir up anger, and leave you without readers.
3. Explain your problem in a vague sense
I don't know if that title works either, but this is what I mean. If you're not allowed to use put-downs, how do you explain your frustrations with humanity? Well, you can talk about a problem without talking about people. Blaming the "institution" is okay. This is a hard one to work out, but once you figure out how to write without offending anyone, you can go far!
4. Offer a solution to build people up
This is what writing should do. Instead of focusing on the problem at hand, focus on your solution. You do have a solution, don't you? If you want to stir up something, change something about your life, writing is your best outlet. Explain your solution as if you've already figured it out. Don't use "maybe" or "I think." Be confident. Say it like advice to everyone else. And through your vague-ness, you may be aiming at something particular, but you can reach people facing different problems all the same.
5. Add humor
Now this is just my own rule. Sometimes I write about very serious topics. Sometimes I don't. But in all my writing, I have to give it a personal touch, something to lighten the mood. Comic relief! Amen. Hallelujiah! Without it, I don't know if I could get through some movies. Just adding a joke here or there brings your stuff back down to earth, while the rest of your writing may be up in the clouds.
6. Don't be afraid to say what's on your mind
Your topic may be contraversial. Don't let that stop you. Don't be embarresed, or afraid of what people will think. That can be hard sometimes. But remember, you are writing for you. It's awesome when other people can read your stuff, and get a message. But don't write to please. You'll never get anything across that way.
I guess you can say that's Anisha P.'s rules to writing. Of course, there is no right or wrong in writing. But that's a set of guidelines I usually like to follow.
Thanks for reading, and have fun writing your own stuff :)