Singing--It's What I Do | Teen Ink

Singing--It's What I Do

April 25, 2009
By Anonymous

It is hard to find a teenager who knows exactly what she wants to do with her life. I attend an academically advanced, well respected, college preparatory high school, and most of my classmates have no clear idea what they want to be as an adult. I, however, know with every fiber of my being that I want to study music and further my singing career. I have been singing for most of my life. I always knew that I loved music and that it was an innate part of me. It was not until recently, though, that I had an epiphany, clearly revealing that I needed to be a singer—forever. Not just a singer for fun. Not just a singer as a hobby—but a singer for life.



As a young child, I was extremely quiet and soft spoken. I never felt the need or desire to compete for attention among my friends by being the loudest talker or the funniest story teller. I usually took a step back to quietly observe and listen, but when I stepped onto the stage, it was my turn to shine. On stage, I did not have to compete for anyone’s attention. I commanded it, owned it, and loved it. This attention sustained me so that when I walked off my stage, I felt fulfilled and content to slip quietly back into the crowd, observing and listening.

Being an extremely introspective person has allowed me to realize that I love singing all types of music. I enjoy singing classical, gospel, sacred, country, and popular music. I also enjoy singing at all venues. No event is too small or too great. I love bringing joy to the patients in nursing homes as much as I love performing at larger, more glamorous events. For me, the most important aspect in singing is not only commanding people’s attention but also connecting with people’s souls. I need to either convey a message or act as an outlet for people to experience their own emotions. For example, I recently sang at a Christian funeral service. The people were grief stricken and consumed in loss and death. As I sang “The Lord’s Prayer,” I felt that I was God’s instrument. I felt that it was my job to remind people of His presence and of His promise. As I sang “Let There Be Peace on Earth,” I wanted them to feel peace and hope in this dark time. As I sang “Amazing Grace,” I felt that I was needed to remind them that their loved one was not alone in darkness but in everlasting light with our Lord. As I sang, I could tell by people’s faces and body language that they were being soothed and comforted by God’s words through my voice. I felt extremely privileged to be able to use my voice to express God’s love and grace in His house. After this experience, I understood the power of my gift. I understood that it was my purpose to touch and become one with others through song. Although I may not always sing religious music, I always try to express these same feelings of hope, love, and peace. When I sing, I know that my instrument is a precious, God-given gift to be used for good. I need to share my music with a sense of respect, appreciation, and purity. Although I am still young and cannot perfectly plan out every detail in my life, I know that music will be a part of who I am—forever.