Love Never Dies | Teen Ink

Love Never Dies

August 6, 2009
By ChemicallyCortney BRONZE, Letcher, South Dakota
ChemicallyCortney BRONZE, Letcher, South Dakota
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I put my wet hand against the lightly fogged glass on the mirror. It was hard to believe that just hours ago I was so happy. Now, I look at myself in the mirror and I can’t even see the sparkle of happiness in my eye like I usually could. My Dad is dead, gone forever. I can just hear everyone saying that he deserved it and they saw it coming. My Dad was an alcoholic, but can that make him a bad person? I personally believe my Dad was an excellent person; he just had a major flaw.

When I first heard the news, I didn’t know what to do, so I took a shower. It usually makes me feel better, but today I feel completely empty and cold. I look into the mirror again and all I can see is my teary, bloodshot eyes staring back. It all happened so unexpectedly and I never got to tell him goodbye or that I loved him one last time. All of these emotions were too much for me, so I crawled into bed and I stayed there for 2 days. I just wanted it all to be over.

On the third day, I had to get up and force myself to get ready for the funeral. Even though I loved my Dad, I didn’t want to see him like this, but I had to. I was walking down the aisle in my beautiful black dress and I kept wishing that time would just stop. I didn’t want to be here and I just wanted my Dad back. All too soon, I reached his casket and I was looking down at his body. He looks so peaceful and fragile. I couldn’t help but think about all the times he told me that he loved me. Tears filled my eyes once again. That’s when I finally realized that this was not my Dad. Yes, it was his outer shell, but it wasn’t him. My Dad was the person who has always been there for me and he is the person I have in my memories and my heart. My Dad is gone from reality, but never absent from my heart. He is my dad and he will always live inside of me, even after death.

The author's comments:
This piece was very emotional for me to write and I cried writing most of it but it all came to me naturally.