Dolce & Gabbana | Teen Ink

Dolce & Gabbana

July 27, 2009
By Jazie-Jaz BRONZE, West Point, Utah
Jazie-Jaz BRONZE, West Point, Utah
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dolce & Gabbana has been considered the world’s most successful ready-to-wear line, and Hollywood’s number one choice designer, Dolce & Gabbana is known for giving women a more modernized “sexy” look, and the main office is in Milan, Italy. Inspirations of the lines came from Italian actresses. To be a model for Dolce & Gabbana means that there is something special about you, because even the designers will admit they are picky about whom they dress. Dolce & Gabbana was started by two designers by the names of Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana.

Domenico Dolce was born on September 13th, 1958. He was born in a small village just outside of Palermo, Sicily. Dolce was the son of a tailor, and worked in his father’s store from the age of six. He attended fashion schooling in Sicily, but originally started school in science but dropped out for fashion. He then moved to Milan and became an assistant in 1980 where he met Stefano Gabbana.

Stefano Gabbana was born on November 14th, 1962; he was born in Venice, Italy. Gabbana had loved fashion since he was young, but he never went to school in fashion. He went into school in graphic designs. He got his fashion experience when he became an assistant in Milan in 1980 where he met Domenico Dolce.

Dolce & Gabbana first became life partners in 1980 then in 1982 they started their first fashion consulting studio in Milan, and became business partners as well.
In 1985 they presented their first ever women’s ready-to-wear line and won an international acclaim from their line; this is the first step for Dolce & Gabbana really taking off. In 1987 they opened a bigger consulting studio in Milan.
In 1988 Dolce & Gabbana decided to try their luck in Japan. They signed an agreement with a group and started their first Japan Boutique.

In 1989 Dolce & Gabbana launched their first ever swimsuit and lingerie clothing lines.

In the end of the 1980s the couple took a trip back to Sicily, and when they returned their new line had a new look. The line emphasizes the curves of the female body.
In 1990 they launched their first ever men’s clothing line. In 1990 they also opened their first women’s boutique in Milan, Italy.

In 1992 Dolce & Gabbana launched their first perfume line that ended up winning the 1993 “Perfume Academy International Prize for Best Female Fragrance”. As well as in 1992 they launched their first accessories line.

In the 1990s it was recorded that sales were over $500 million.

In 2005 Dolce & Gabbana started an award, seeking talented teens in Europe to become designers for them. The award was called “Europe’s Most Creative Teens”.

In 2005 the couple decided they wanted to adopt a son but because of Italian laws based off of Catholic values they could not, and they reported that just because they have a ‘handicap’ of being gay that doesn’t mean they should not be allowed to be parents.

In 2006 the couple ended their relationship, but decided to keep being business partners, when asked if it will interfere they reported that it would not interfere with any of their work.

There are three Dolce & Gabbana clothing lines. There is D&G, D&G juniors, Dolce&Gabbana. D&G is more casual and trend setting; this line follows the cultural time it is in; and it is cheaper. A D&G junior is for children under 13, and is seasonal and is made for boys and girls. Dolce&Gabbana is luxurious, slightly more expensive then D&G; it is also only sold in Milan, Italy.

Each line offers a great variety of things such as:

Beachwear

Eyewear (prescription and sunglasses)

Perfume

Cologne

Jewelry

Timepieces

Footwear

Purses

Cell Phone



Boutiques and stores that carry Dolce & Gabbana lines can be found all over the world. Including Places such as:

Italy (Milan is the main office in Italy)

Austria

Belgium

Brazil

Canada

China

France

Germany

Greece

Guam

India

Indonesia

Ireland

Japan

Korea

Kuwait

Lebanon

Netherlands

Portugal

Qatar

Russia

Saudi Arabia

Singapore

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

Taiwan

Thailand

Turkey

United Arab Emirates

United Kingdom

USA

Mexico

Argentina

Colombia

Panama

There are six free lancing Dolce & Gabbana boutiques in the United States:

New York City, New York

Beverly Hills, California

Las Vegas, Nevada

Americana Manhasset on Long Island, New York

Bal Harbor Shops in Bal Harbor, Florida

The Mall at Short Hills in Short Hills, New Jersey

Dolce & Gabbana is considered timeless, and no wonder why, they have something for everybody. From their ready-to-wear lines to the designer lines, they have sizes that can fit about everybody. That’s probably why they are truly successful designers. They are personally my favorite designers.

The author's comments:
I have been studying fashion and this is something i found interesting about the designers i literally do worship.