Responsibility Made Me a Winner! | Teen Ink

Responsibility Made Me a Winner!

July 8, 2009
By Chris Garbo BRONZE, Naples, Florida
Chris Garbo BRONZE, Naples, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“The top Sally Foster seller this year is Chris,” announced Mrs. Murray in front of the whole school at flag ceremony. I was very surprised. My hard work had paid off, and I had set a new school record in the 24 year history of the school. I remembered how much responsibility it took to keep track of all the checks, money, and order forms. I only had three weeks to sell so I had to be responsible with my time and get my homework done before I could go out selling. I sold over $1400 and set the record.

Responsibility is one of the Laws of Life. I have learned how to be responsible in many ways. The Sally Foster fundraiser at our school taught me about being responsible. It taught me about making a promise and keeping it. For example, if someone told me to come back at 5:00 for an order, I had to go back at that time or I would miss a sale. My goal was to sell 175 items to get all of the prizes. To do this, I had to figure out how many items I had to sell each day to make my goal.

Responsibility is also about being dependable. I had to make sure that the order forms were completed correctly because I didn’t want to order gift wrap if the person wanted chocolates. I also had to be careful with the money. I had over $1,400 in cash and checks so I had to make sure that I didn’t lose it. I had so many items to deliver, that I had my own section of boxes in the gym. I had to be responsible and make sure that I delivered the items because people were counting on me.

By being responsible I helped raise money for my school. I also won an LCD flat screen TV. The experience also taught me how to run a business, set goals, and be dependable. Responsibility is an important Law of Life that will help me make good choices in the future.

The author's comments:
Chris won first place in the Collier County Laws of Life Essay/Speech contest with this essay.