Responsibility Made Me a Winner! | Teen Ink

Responsibility Made Me a Winner!

By Chris Garbo BRONZE, Naples, Florida
Chris Garbo BRONZE, Naples, Florida

“The top Sally Foster seller this year is Chris,” announced Mrs. Murray in front of the whole school at flag ceremony. I was very surprised. My hard work had paid off, and I had set a new school record in the 24 year history of the school. I remembered how much responsibility it took to keep track of all the checks, money, and order forms. I only had three weeks to sell so I had to be responsible with my time and get my homework done before I could go out selling. I sold over $1400 and set the record.

Responsibility is one of the Laws of Life. I have learned how to be responsible in many ways. The Sally Foster fundraiser at our school taught me about being responsible. It taught me about making a promise and keeping it. For example, if someone told me to come back at 5:00 for an order, I had to go back at that time or I would miss a sale. My goal was to sell 175 items to get all of the prizes. To do this, I had to figure out how many items I had to sell each day to make my goal.

Responsibility is also about being dependable. I had to make sure that the order forms were completed correctly because I didn’t want to order gift wrap if the person wanted chocolates. I also had to be careful with the money. I had over $1,400 in cash and checks so I had to make sure that I didn’t lose it. I had so many items to deliver, that I had my own section of boxes in the gym. I had to be responsible and make sure that I delivered the items because people were counting on me.

By being responsible I helped raise money for my school. I also won an LCD flat screen TV. The experience also taught me how to run a business, set goals, and be dependable. Responsibility is an important Law of Life that will help me make good choices in the future.

Chris won first place in the Collier County Laws of Life Essay/Speech contest with this essay.