Ocean Rescue: Creative Solutions For Ocean Plastic Pollution | Teen Ink

Ocean Rescue: Creative Solutions For Ocean Plastic Pollution

March 28, 2024
By fangela GOLD, Fort Lee, New Jersey
fangela GOLD, Fort Lee, New Jersey
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Did you know that 14 million tons of plastic enter the ocean each year, making plastic debris the most dangerous type of marine pollution, contributing to 80% of all marine waste? This shocking statistic underscores the urgent need for innovative solutions to combat ocean pollution since plastic is non-biodegradable and can be tremendously harmful for both the marine life and the human population. Specifically, marine animals are forced to live with this plastic litter and inevitably become victims to it by getting tangled up in it or ingesting it. According to Clean Water Action, “Marine plastic pollution has impacted at least 267 species worldwide, including 86% of all sea turtle species, 44% of all seabird species and 43% of all marine mammal species.” Additionally, plastic debris is negatively affecting the human food chain. By consuming contaminated seafood, people subject themselves to the ingestion of chemicals that are used in plastic production, which can be carcinogenic and disrupt the endocrine system. This can lead to many health issues including developmental, reproductive, neurological, and immune system disorders. In the face of this environmental crisis, one must think about creative and innovative solutions that will eliminate these issues in a more efficient and rapid way. If I had all the resources, power and access to save our oceans, I would design two such creative solutions: Ocean Plastic Cleanup Megastructures and Bioengineered Plastic-Eating Microorganisms. 

Ocean plastic cleanup megastructures could be large-scale engineering solutions designed to remove plastic waste from oceans. These megastructures could range from floating barriers to skimmers. Regarding the design and size of the megastructures, there could be various prototypes which would depend on the type and amount of the waste to be collected. For example, there could be floating barriers which would be structures designed to float on the surface of the water and use various natural forces (such as currents and winds) and man-made mechanisms (such as catchers and blockades) to trap plastic waste. Another possible design for these megastructures could be gigantic skimmers that would be specialized vessels or platforms equipped with nets, conveyor belts, and/or other collection systems to scoop up floating plastic debris. These megastructures would offer several benefits such as efficiently capturing and removing large quantities of plastic debris from the ocean which could significantly reduce ocean pollution. Furthermore, these structures could provide a well-balanced and systematic approach to ocean cleanup which could lead to more effective waste management control. On one hand, there are challenges and limitations associated with these megastructures, which includes the high initial and operational costs of building and maintaining these structures. On the other hand, these costs could be mitigated if these structures operate on renewable energy, such as solar and wind power. 

Bioengineered microorganisms could help remove mass of liters from the ocean if they are specifically designed to consume and digest plastic waste. These organisms will be genetically modified to possess enzymes or other biological mechanisms that enable them to break down plastic polymers. These Bioengineered microorganisms will typically work by producing enzymes that target specific types of plastic polymers, such as polyethylene terephthalate (PET) or polyethylene (PE). These enzymes will facilitate the breakdown of the plastic into smaller molecules that could be metabolized by the microorganisms as a food source. Bioengineered microorganisms will have the potential to play a significant role in cleaning up ocean pollution by specifically targeting plastic waste. They can be deployed in areas with high plastic accumulation to help reduce plastic debris and its harmful effects on marine life and the surrounding ecosystems. However, there might be concerns regarding the use of bioengineered microorganisms for plastic waste cleanup in terms of safety, regulation, and some unintended consequences. Releasing genetically modified organisms into the environment can raise concerns about their potential impact on natural ecosystems and their biodiversity. In addition, if these bioengineered microorganisms are to be released, there needs to be a strict regulatory framework to ensure the safety of the living organisms in that environment. Otherwise, the introduction of genetically modified organisms may have unforeseen consequences, which may cause changes in ecosystem dynamics. To address concerns about bioengineered microorganisms for plastic waste cleanup, thorough risk assessments and containment measures will be created to ensure safety and prevent unintended environmental impacts. Clear regulatory frameworks should be established to guide their development, testing, and deployment, with the results of the project being public and transparent at every step of the process. 

Overall, urgent action is needed to fight ocean plastic pollution. The proposed solutions of ocean plastic megastructures and bioengineered microorganisms offer innovative approaches to reduce the amounts of plastic trash in our oceans. Megastructures use floating barriers and skimmers to remove waste, while bioengineered microorganisms consume specific plastics and digest them during the breakdown process. Despite some challenges in their production and utilization, these creative solutions could offer hope for a cleaner, healthier, and safer ocean. 


Works Cited
IUCN. “Marine Plastic Pollution.” IUCN, Nov. 2021, www.iucn.org/resources/issues-brief/marine-plastic-pollution. Accessed 17 Mar. 2024.

“The Problem of Marine Plastic Pollution.” Clean Water Action, 20 Apr. 2016, cleanwater.org/problem-marine-plastic-pollution. Accessed 17 Mar. 2024.

Warner, Rodney. “PE vs. PET: How Are They Different?” www.tdi packsys.com, www.tdipacksys.com/blog/ Accessed 28 Mar. 2024.


The author's comments:

I am an avid nature lover and feel the need to protect the environment for future generations. Specifically, I care about the marine life and find the problem of plastic pollution to be very alarming. That is why I focused on creating innovative solutions for the plastic pollution problem in our oceans.