How to Sleep Tight | Teen Ink

How to Sleep Tight

By 4dobbertin PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
4dobbertin PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin

According to the American Sleep Association, the average person spends around 227,760 hours sleeping; that's one-third of your life. 

It’s obvious that sleep is vital for our overall well-being, physical health, mental clarity, and emotional stability. Like a gardener to his garden, nurturing our sleep is essential for our success. Establishing a consistent sleep schedule is paramount for a better life. According to Luke Heberlein, “The quality of your sleep improves your immune system, stress, and overall performance.” This consistency reinforces the body’s internal sleep cues, signaling when it's time to wind down or be alert.

Creating a relaxing nighttime routine can enhance your sleep schedule. Engaging in calm activities before you go to bed, such as reading a book, taking a warm bath, or even light stretching, helps signal the body to unwind. Avoiding stimulating activities, like using your phone or intense workouts, at least an hour before you go to sleep is crucial. According to Luke Heberlein, a sleep enthusiast, “Blue light emitted from screens suppresses the release of the sleep hormone melatonin,” resulting in a disruptive storm that blocks the sun. By avoiding these mindless distractions we allow the rhythm of our sleep to beguile us into a peaceful sleep, where our dreams dance like whispers in the night.