Is Karna the True Hero of the Epic Mahabharata? | Teen Ink

Is Karna the True Hero of the Epic Mahabharata?

By kousei GOLD, Mymensingh, Other
kousei GOLD, Mymensingh, Other

"Comfort is no test of truth. Truth is often far from being comfortable."

Many people believe that the tragic and interesting figure of Karna from the Mahabharata is the true hero of the story. Kunti, the mother of the Pandavas, was able to have Karna through a unique relationship she had with the Sun God. However, he was abandoned at birth as a result of a chain of unfortunate events. A charioteer named Adhirat raised him. He was not just a skilled warrior but a gentle, modest, and loving man. Why do so many individuals think he is the epic’s true legend?

Karna’s mentality had been greatly influenced by his birth and subsequent abandonment. He experienced rejection and a sense of alienation as a child. This strengthened his will to establish himself and seek acceptance in the world. He went to Dronacharya to learn archery and get an education. Karna was determined to excel in the world despite Dronacharya's rejection and insults. In order to prepare himself to be the best, he went to Lord Parshuram and spent 12 years learning all the skills and life lessons he needed. He stood out from other characters because of his perseverance and willpower.

Karna endured numerous insults throughout the epic because of his inferior caste and low social rank. Nevertheless, his attitude remained unwavering. He persevered through these challenges with stoicism, without allowing them to break his spirit or weaken his will. For instance, Karna was humiliated and rejected because of his low birth when he attempted to take part in Draupadi's swayamvara (the rite where a princess chooses her husband). Karna's animosity for the Pandavas grew as a result of this occurrence, since he believed they were responsible for the continuation of caste-based prejudice.

Karna is frequently shown as having admirable qualities. He is renowned for his steadfast dedication to generosity, truth, and morality. He was referred to as "Daanveer Karna" because of his propensity to donate his wealth and things to those in need. Even when it meant putting his personal wellbeing at risk, he never abstained from aiding the destitute and oppressed. Karna's worldview was on display when the king of the gods, Indra, approached him while pretending to be a Brahmin and asked for his heavenly armor and earrings as a gesture of goodwill. He was aware that giving up these items would make him less effective in battle, yet he insisted on keeping his word and did so willingly. Who is stronger than someone who keeps his promises even by weakening himself?

Karna is regarded as having unrivaled loyalty. He swore devotion to the eldest Kaurava, Duryodhana, and stayed dedicated to that support throughout the conflict. His attachment to Duryodhana and his desire to establish his mettle as a warrior shaped his perspective throughout the Kurukshetra War. He challenged and defeated a number of great warriors with unsurpassed bravery and valor. He possessed exceptional military prowess. He was regarded as a fearsome foe and had beaten many famous warriors in battle. Both allies and adversaries praised his bravery and fighting skills. Arguably, he was the most formidable fighter in the Kurukshetra War. He set a record by defeating 1.5 Akshauhini troops with his heavenly Vijaya bow in a single day.

Karna experienced a lot of difficulties and tragedies in his life. His melancholy aura was heightened by the countless defeats and injustices he experienced. He had to go through many hardships despite his moral nature and inherent virtue. He questioned Krishna, as his time was about to expire, if there would be no evidence of his magnificence. Krishna said, "When the chariot is stuck in soil, when the bow is not in your hands, and when you lose your knowledge from memory, you’re going to be defeated. By taking such advantages, Arjuna will win this battle. Isn’t this situation enough to prove your worth, Radheya?" Tragically, Karna died on the 17th day of the war as a tragic hero.

It is true that there is debate regarding whether Karna made the correct choice by siding with the Kauravas or not. Both scenarios have a logical foundation. Karna's perspective was torn when Lord Krishna met him and revealed that he was the eldest Pandava. As the eldest Pandava, Karna was aware of his true genealogy and his legitimate claim to the throne. However, Karna's loyalty and honor were the main drivers behind his support for the Kauravas. He felt compelled to honor his word after swearing allegiance to Duryodhana. He felt that supporting Duryodhana was the appropriate thing to do. In the face of a moral dilemma, he was forced to choose between his family ties and his loyalties. His choice to support the Kauravas was influenced by his own moral beliefs. In the end, it is complicated to determine whether Karna made the correct choice or not.

In conclusion, the question of whether Karna made the right decision is subjective. His loyalty and strength were admirable qualities, but some may argue that he could have chosen a different path by aligning with his true family and seeking reconciliation. But these decisions don’t hinder the fact that he was a legendary warrior, a loyal friend, a determined soul, and, most importantly, an absolute conqueror of the epic. As Aristotle said, "The tragic hero is a man of noble stature. He is not an ordinary man, but a man with outstanding quality and greatness about him." Maybe it was destined for Karna to finish his life that way. Possibly, tragedy uplifts the greatness of a hero to a great extent. That’s why Karna will be the true hero of Mahabharat for all time.

When I studied Mahabharata, I fell in love with this character. So, I thought to share my feelings about Karna and write down this article.