Stoneman Syndrome: An Overview of a Rare Genetic Disorder | Teen Ink

Stoneman Syndrome: An Overview of a Rare Genetic Disorder

By Sadeel DIAMOND, Dayton, New Jersey
Sadeel DIAMOND, Dayton, New Jersey

Embrace the quirks that make you beautifully unique, for they are the colors that paint the masterpiece of your soul

Stoneman Syndrome, also known as Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva (FOP), is a rare genetic disorder that affects approximately one in every two million people worldwide. The disorder is characterized by the progressive ossification of soft tissues such as muscles, tendons, and ligaments, leading to immobility and disability. The disorder was first described by Guy Patin, a French physician, in 1692; it was not until the 20th century that significant progress was made in understanding the disorder.

The hallmark feature of FOP is the formation of bone in response to injury or trauma. The disorder usually presents in childhood, with the first signs being the formation of bony nodules on the scalp, neck, and back. These nodules can progress over time to involve other parts of the body, such as the limbs, chest, and abdomen. The formation of ectopic bone leads to the loss of mobility and independence, with affected individuals becoming increasingly immobile over time. The disorder can also lead to deformities, such as a curved spine, and respiratory problems due to the ossification of the rib cage.

Stoneman Syndrome is caused by a mutation in the ACVR1 gene, which encodes a receptor for bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs). The abnormal activation of the BMP signaling pathway leads to the formation of ectopic bone in soft tissues, which results in the hallmark feature of FOP, i.e., the formation of bone in response to injury or trauma. The mutation in the ACVR1 gene leads to the production of a hyperactive BMP receptor, which is constantly activated, even in the absence of injury or trauma.

The pathophysiology of FOP involves the abnormal activation of the BMP signaling pathway, leading to ectopic bone formation in soft tissues. BMPs are a family of growth factors that play a critical role in bone development and repair. In normal circumstances, BMP signaling is tightly regulated, activating BMP receptors only in response to injury or trauma. However, in individuals with FOP, the ACVR1 gene mutation leads to the production of a hyperactive BMP receptor, which is constantly activated, forming ectopic bone in soft tissues.

The diagnosis of Stoneman Syndrome is usually based on clinical and radiographic findings. The clinical features of FOP, including the formation of bony nodules in response to injury or trauma, are usually sufficient to make a preliminary diagnosis. However, the definitive diagnosis is made through genetic testing, which involves the identification of the ACVR1 gene mutation.

As previously mentioned, there is currently no cure for Stoneman Syndrome, and treatment options are limited to symptom management and prevention of flare-ups. The management of FOP involves a multidisciplinary approach, with the involvement of specialists in orthopedics, pain management, respiratory medicine, and physical therapy. The use of corticosteroids and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can help to manage pain and inflammation associated with flare-ups. Physical therapy is also important in managing FOP, as it helps maintain joint mobility and prevent contractures. Surgery is generally avoided in individuals with FOP, as it can lead to the formation of additional bone.

Stoneman Syndrome, or Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva, is a rare genetic disorder characterized by the progressive ossification of soft tissues such as muscles, tendons, and ligaments. The disorder is caused by a mutation in the ACVR1 gene, which leads to the abnormal activation of the BMP signaling pathway and the formation of ectopic bone in response to injury or trauma. There is currently no cure for FOP, and treatment options are limited to symptom management and prevention of flare-ups. The management of FOP involves a multidisciplinary approach, with the involvement of specialists in orthopedics, pain management, respiratory medicine, and physical therapy. Ongoing research efforts are aimed at developing effective treatments for FOP and improving the quality of life of affected individuals.

Works Cited 

Kaplan FS, Al Mukaddam M, Pignolo RJ. A cumulative perspective on fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva. Bone. 2018;109:96-102.

Pignolo RJ, Shore EM, Kaplan FS. Fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva: clinical and genetic aspects. Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2011;6:80.

Shore EM, Kaplan FS. Inherited human diseases of heterotopic bone formation. Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2010;6(9):518-27.

Lilijestrom M, Gorschelnikov A, Lindahl A, et al. Fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva: pathophysiology, diagnosis, and treatment. Orthop Rev (Pavia). 2020;12(Suppl 1):8439.

Pignolo RJ, Bedford-Gay C, Liljesthrom M, et al. The natural history of flare-ups in Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva (FOP): a comprehensive global assessment. J Bone Miner Res. 2016;31(3):650-6.

Shore EM, Gannon FH, Xu M, et al. A recurrent mutation in the BMP type I receptor ACVR1 causes inherited and sporadic fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva. Nat Genet. 2006;38(5):525-7.

Upadhyay J, Karan D, Tripathi AK. Fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva. J Anaesthesiol Clin Pharmacol. 2011;27(3): 405-6.

Cohen RB, Hahn GV, Tabas JA, et al. The natural history of heterotopic ossification in patients who have fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva. A study of forty-four patients. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1993;75(2):215-9.

Pignolo RJ, Suda RK, Kaplan FS. The Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva (FOP) phenotype: plausibility of a developmental disorder of altered cellular differentiation, proliferation, and apoptosis. Skelet Muscle. 2021;11(1):10.

Seemann P, Klopocki E, Menger H, et al. Mutations in GDF5 reveal a key residue mediating BMP inhibition by NOGGIN. PLoS Genet. 2009;5(11):e1000747.

While researching rare diseases, this was the first thing to come up, and I was instantly intrigued to learn more.