Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia: An Overview | Teen Ink

Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia: An Overview

April 8, 2023
By Sadeel DIAMOND, Dayton, New Jersey
Sadeel DIAMOND, Dayton, New Jersey
50 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Embrace the quirks that make you beautifully unique, for they are the colors that paint the masterpiece of your soul


Acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL), also known as acute lymphoblastic leukemia, is a type of cancer that affects the blood and bone marrow. It is characterized by the overproduction of immature white blood cells, called lymphoblasts, that do not function properly and interfere with the production of normal blood cells (Mayo Clinic, 2022).

ALL is the most common type of cancer in children, accounting for about 25% of all pediatric cancers. It is also diagnosed in adults but is less common in this population. The incidence of ALL in adults increases with age, with the highest incidence occurring in people over the age of 50 (American Cancer Society, 2021).

The exact cause of ALL is not known. Still, research has shown that certain genetic mutations and environmental factors can contribute to the development of the disease.

In many cases, ALL is caused by genetic mutations that occur during a person's lifetime. These mutations can affect the normal development of white blood cells, leading to the overproduction of immature lymphoblasts. Some of the genetic mutations that have been linked to ALL include abnormalities in genes that regulate cell growth and division, such as the genes TCF3, ETV6, and BCR-ABL1 (National Cancer Institute, 2021).

Exposure to certain environmental factors has also been linked to an increased risk of developing ALL. These factors include ionizing radiation, certain chemicals, viral infections, and immune system deficiencies (American Cancer Society, 2021). For example, exposure to high levels of ionizing radiation, such as that used in radiation therapy or nuclear accidents, increases the risk of developing ALL. Similarly, exposure to certain chemicals, such as benzene and formaldehyde, has been linked to an increased risk of developing ALL. These chemicals are commonly found in certain workplaces, such as factories and refineries (National Cancer Institute, 2021).

Other risk factors for ALL include age, gender, and family history of ALL or other types of cancer (Mayo Clinic, 2022).

The symptoms of ALL can vary depending on the stage of the disease and the organs affected. Some common symptoms include fatigue and weakness, fever, night sweats, weight loss, bone pain, joint pain, swollen lymph nodes, and enlarged liver and spleen (Mayo Clinic, 2022).

Diagnosis of ALL typically involves a physical exam, blood tests, and bone marrow biopsy. The blood tests may show a high number of white blood cells and immature cells, as well as low levels of red blood cells and platelets. The bone marrow biopsy involves removing a small sample of bone marrow and examining it under a microscope for the presence of abnormal cells (National Cancer Institute, 2021).

Treatment for ALL typically involves a combination of chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Chemotherapy involves the use of drugs to kill cancer cells, while radiation therapy uses high-energy radiation to kill cancer cells. Stem cell transplantation may also be used in some cases, particularly in people with a high relapse risk (Mayo Clinic, 2022).

The prognosis for ALL varies depending on a number of factors, including the person's age, overall health, and the extent of the disease at diagnosis. In general, the prognosis is better for children than for adults. The five-year survival rate for children with ALL is around 90%, while the five-year survival rate for adults is around 40% (American Cancer Society ).

Because the exact cause of ALL is unknown, it is impossible to prevent the disease entirely. However, some steps can be taken to reduce the risk of developing ALL. Avoiding exposure to chemicals and other environmental toxins whenever possible, following good hygiene practices to reduce the risk of viral infections, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, including regular exercise and a balanced diet, and discussing any concerns about a family history of cancer with a healthcare provider are some measures that can be taken to reduce the risk of developing ALL (Mayo Clinic, 2022).

To wrap this up, acute lymphocytic leukemia is a type of cancer that affects the blood and bone marrow. Although the exact cause of ALL is not known, research has identified certain genetic mutations and environmental factors that can increase the risk of developing the disease. Early diagnosis and treatment are important for improving the chances of a favorable outcome. While preventing ALL entirely is impossible, taking steps to reduce exposure to environmental toxins and maintaining a healthy lifestyle can help reduce the risk of developing the disease (American Cancer Society, 2021; Mayo Clinic, 2022).


Works Cited 

American Cancer Society. (2021). Key statistics for acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL). Retrieved March 29, 2023, from cancer.org/cancer/acute-lymphocytic-leukemia/about/key-statistics.html

Mayo Clinic. (2022). Acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL). Retrieved March 29, 2023, from mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/acute-lymphocytic-leukemia/symptoms-causes/syc-20369077

National Cancer Institute. (2021). Adult acute lymphoblastic leukemia treatment (PDQ) – patient version. Retrieved March 29, 2023, from cancer.gov/types/leukemia/patient/adult-all-treatment-pdq


The author's comments:

Growing up, my best friend in fifth grade was diagnosed with Acute lymphocytic leukemia, and it was super hard seeing her pulled out of school and not being allowed to see me or any of her other friends. Now that it's been quite some time, I have been inspired to research and create this paper about the overview of Acute lymphocytic leukemia.