What common sources of financial support exist for clinical trials? | Teen Ink

What common sources of financial support exist for clinical trials?

By Sadeel DIAMOND, Dayton, New Jersey
Sadeel DIAMOND, Dayton, New Jersey

Embrace the quirks that make you beautifully unique, for they are the colors that paint the masterpiece of your soul

Clinical trials are an essential part of the drug development process. They are designed to evaluate the safety and efficacy of new drugs or medical treatments and often involve extensive testing on human subjects. However, conducting clinical trials is an expensive endeavor, and the costs can quickly add up. Therefore, financial support is essential to ensure that clinical trials can be completed successfully. This paper will show some of the common sources of financial support for clinical trials.

Pharmaceutical companies are the largest source of funding for clinical trials, as they have a vested interest in the success of clinical trials, which can lead to the development of new drugs or treatments that can generate significant revenue. According to a report by the Tufts Center for the Study of Drug Development, pharmaceutical companies fund more than 70% of clinical trials conducted in the United States (Source: Tufts CSDD). These companies can provide significant financial support to clinical trials, but they may also have a conflict of interest if they are funding trials for their own products.

Government agencies are another significant source of funding for clinical trials. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) is the largest source of funding for medical research in the world, providing over $32 billion in funding for research in 2020 (Source: National Institutes of Health). The NIH also sponsors its own clinical trials, and its clinical research network, the Clinical and Translational Science Awards (CTSA), provides support for clinical trials across the United States. Government funding can provide stability and consistency to clinical trial funding, but it may also be subject to political influence and budget cuts.

Non-profit organizations often have specific disease-related missions and fund research to advance their goals. Examples of non-profit organizations that provide funding for clinical trials include the American Cancer Society (ACS), the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, and the Michael J. Fox Foundation. The ACS is one of the largest non-profit organizations and has invested more than $5 billion in cancer research since 1946 (American Cancer Society). Non-profit organizations can provide a strong mission-driven focus and support for research that may not receive funding from other sources, but their funding may also be limited and subject to donor preferences.

Foundations, both private and public, also provide significant financial support for clinical trials. Examples of foundations that provide funding for clinical trials include the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, and the Susan G. Komen Foundation. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has invested over $1.75 billion in global health research and development, including funding for clinical trials (Source: Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation). Foundations can provide significant financial support to clinical trials and may have specific areas of interest or focus, but their funding may also be subject to restrictions and preferences.

Contract Research Organizations (CROs) provide outsourced clinical trial services to pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, government agencies, and non-profit organizations. According to a report by ResearchAndMarkets.com, the global CRO market was valued at $44.4 billion in 2020 and is expected to grow to $73.8 billion by 2028 (ResearchAndMarkets.com). CROs are an important source of financial support for clinical trials, as they can help to reduce the costs and risks associated with conducting clinical trials. However, they may also introduce conflicts of interest and may prioritize their own financial interests over the interests of the trial participants.

Venture capital firms invest in companies with innovative business ideas that have the potential for significant growth. In the context of clinical trials, venture capital firms may invest in biotech or pharmaceutical startups that are developing new drugs or medical treatments. According to a report by PricewaterhouseCoopers, venture capital investment in the life sciences sector totaled $17.3 billion in 2020 (PwC). These firms can provide significant financial support to clinical trials, but their investments are often focused on companies that have the potential to generate significant returns, which may not always align with the goals of clinical research.

Finally, academic institutions also provide financial support for clinical trials. Universities and medical centers often have dedicated research centers or institutes that conduct clinical trials, and they may also receive funding from government agencies, non-profit organizations, and other sources. Academic institutions can provide valuable expertise and resources for clinical trials, but their funding may be limited and subject to budget constraints.

In conclusion, there are many sources of financial support for clinical trials, each with its own benefits and challenges. Pharmaceutical companies provide the largest share of funding, but may have conflicts of interest. Government agencies provide stable funding, but may be subject to political influence. Non-profit organizations and foundations provide focused support, but their funding may be limited. CROs help to reduce costs and risks, but may introduce conflicts of interest. Venture capital firms provide significant funding, but may prioritize financial returns over clinical goals. Academic institutions provide valuable expertise and resources, but their funding may be limited. Understanding these sources of financial support can help researchers to secure the funding they need to conduct clinical trials and advance medical research.

Works Cited 

"Impact Report 2020." National Institutes of Health, 2020, nih.gov/about-nih/what-we-do/nih-almanac/nih-impact-report-2020.

"Industry Funding of Clinical Trials." Tufts Center for the Study of Drug Development, 2019, csdd.tufts.edu/industryfundingclinicaltrials.

"Global Contract Research Organization (CRO) Market (2021-2028)." ResearchAndMarkets.com, 2021, researchandmarkets.com/reports/5317162/global-contract-research-organization-cro-market.

"Global Life Sciences Deals Insights 2020." PwC, 2020, pwc.com/gx/en/industries/life-sciences/publications/deals-insights.html.

"Funding Cancer Research." American Cancer Society, 2021, cancer.org/research/we-fund-cancer-research/funding-cancer-research.html.

"Global Health Research & Development." Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, 2021, gatesfoundation.org/what-we-do/global-health/global-health-research-and-development.

"Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation: About Us." JDRF, 2021, jdrf.org/about-us/.

"Our Funding: Susan G. Komen." Susan G. Komen, 2021, komen.org/about-us/our-funding/.

"Funding Clinical Trials: A Guide for Patient Advocates." National Cancer Institute, 2014, cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/clinical-trials/patient-sponsorship-guide.pdf.

I have always been super interested in clinical trials. One day, I wondered how clinical trials got funded, leading me to research and further write this research paper.