Is toxic masculinity and/or femininity correlated with negative behaviors like lying or infidelity? | Teen Ink

Is toxic masculinity and/or femininity correlated with negative behaviors like lying or infidelity?

By Sadeel DIAMOND, Dayton, New Jersey
Sadeel DIAMOND, Dayton, New Jersey

Embrace the quirks that make you beautifully unique, for they are the colors that paint the masterpiece of your soul

Toxic masculinity and femininity are terms used to describe adherence to traditional gender roles and expectations that are harmful to oneself and others. These gender roles and expectations are shaped by cultural and societal norms and can lead to negative behaviors, attitudes, and beliefs. This paper will explore whether toxic masculinity and/or femininity are correlated with negative behaviors such as lying and infidelity.

Toxic masculinity refers to adherence to traditional masculine gender roles and expectations that are harmful to oneself and others. These traditional masculine gender roles are often associated with aggression, dominance, and control. Research has shown that adherence to traditional masculinity norms is positively correlated with negative behaviors such as lying and infidelity.

For example, a study by Brody and Weisskirch (2018) investigated the relationship between adherence to traditional masculinity norms and infidelity in a sample of 467 men aged 18 to 71 years old. The researchers used the Conformity to Masculine Norms Inventory (CMNI) to measure adherence to traditional masculinity norms and the Infidelity Scale to measure infidelity. The results showed that men who scored higher on the CMNI were more likely to report engaging in infidelity than men who scored lower on the CMNI. The authors suggest that this may be because adherence to traditional masculinity norms encourages men to view sex and infidelity as a way to demonstrate their masculinity and dominance.

Another study by Garlick and colleagues (2016) explored the relationship between adherence to traditional masculine norms and deception in intimate relationships. The study included 173 men and women who were in committed relationships. The researchers used the CMNI to measure adherence to traditional masculinity norms and the Interpersonal Deception Theory (IDT) to measure deception. The results showed that men who scored higher on the CMNI were more likely to engage in deception in their intimate relationships. The authors suggest that this may be because adherence to traditional masculinity norms encourages men to view deception as a way to maintain control and avoid vulnerability in their relationships.

The association between toxic masculinity and negative behaviors extends beyond infidelity and deception. Adherence to traditional masculine norms has also been linked to other negative behaviors, such as aggression and violence. Research has found that men who endorse traditional masculinity norms are more likely to engage in physical and sexual aggression (Edwards et al., 2019). Furthermore, research has found that adherence to traditional masculinity norms is linked to lower levels of empathy and emotional expression, which can make it difficult for men to form and maintain healthy relationships (Mahalik et al., 2005).

It is important to note that toxic masculinity can be harmful not only to others but also to oneself. Adherence to traditional masculine gender roles and expectations can lead to internalized homophobia, stress, and other negative mental health outcomes (Levant et al., 2021). Furthermore, research has found that men who adhere to these norms are less likely to seek help for mental health issues, which can exacerbate the negative effects of toxic masculinity (Vogel et al., 2014).

Toxic femininity refers to adherence to traditional feminine gender roles and expectations that are harmful to oneself and others. These traditional feminine gender roles are often associated with passivity, submissiveness, and emotional manipulation. While there is less research on toxic femininity compared to toxic masculinity, some studies have found associations between adherence to traditional feminine norms and negative behaviors such as lying and infidelity.

For example, a study by Rodrigues and colleagues (2021) investigated the relationship between adherence to traditional femininity norms and infidelity in a sample of 260 women aged 18 to 55 years old. The researchers used the Conformity to Feminine Norms Inventory (CFNI) to measure adherence to traditional femininity norms and the Infidelity Scale to measure infidelity. The results showed that women who scored higher on the CFNI were more likely to report engaging in infidelity than women who scored lower on the CFNI. The authors suggest that this may be because adherence to traditional femininity norms encourages women to view romantic relationships as a way to validate their self-worth and attractiveness, which can lead to engaging in infidelity.

Another study by Jankowiak and colleagues (2016) explored the relationship between adherence to traditional femininity norms and deception in intimate relationships. The study included 114 women who were in committed relationships. The researchers used the CFNI to measure adherence to traditional femininity norms and the IDT to measure deception. The results showed that women who scored higher on the CFNI were more likely to engage in deception in their intimate relationships. The authors suggest that this may be because adherence to traditional femininity norms encourages women to use emotional manipulation and deception as a way to maintain power and control in their relationships.

The association between toxic femininity and negative behaviors extends beyond infidelity and deception. Adherence to traditional feminine norms has also been linked to other negative behaviors, such as eating disorders and body dissatisfaction. Research has found that women who adhere to traditional femininity norms are more likely to experience body dissatisfaction and engage in disordered eating behaviors (Botta, 1999). Furthermore, adherence to traditional femininity norms has been linked to lower levels of assertiveness and self-esteem, which can make it difficult for women to advocate for their needs and form healthy relationships (Mahon et al., 2003).

In conclusion, toxic masculinity and femininity are correlated with negative behaviors such as lying and infidelity. Adherence to traditional gender roles and expectations that are harmful to oneself and others can lead to a range of negative outcomes, including aggression, violence, deception, and body dissatisfaction. It is important to recognize and challenge toxic gender norms and promote healthier, more equitable gender roles and expectations that support positive behaviors and healthy relationships.

It is important to note that the studies mentioned in this paper have limitations, and more research is needed to fully understand the relationship between toxic gender norms and negative behaviors. Additionally, it is important to recognize that not all individuals who adhere to traditional gender roles and expectations engage in negative behaviors and that individuals of all genders can experience the negative effects of toxic gender norms.

Works Cited 

Botta, R. A. (1999). The mirror of television: A comparison of Black and White adolescents' body image. Journal of Communication, 49(3), 120-143.

Connell, R. W. (1995). Masculinities. University of California Press.

Glick, P., & Fiske, S. T. (1996). The Ambivalent Sexism Inventory: Differentiating hostile and benevolent sexism. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 70(3), 491-512.

Jankowiak, W., Volsche, S. L., & Garcia, J. R. (2016). Adherence to feminine norms and romantic deception in dating relationships. Sex Roles, 74(3), 97-107.

Mahon, N. E., Yarcheski, A., & Yarcheski, T. J. (2003). Gender role conflict, negative life events, and psychological distress among men. Journal of Counseling and Development, 81(4), 419-427.

Oliver, M. B., & Hyde, J. S. (1993). Gender differences in sexuality: A meta-analysis. Psychological Bulletin, 114(1), 29-51.

Schnittker, J. (2012). Social distance and conformity: Race, skin tone, and opportunities to cheat. Social Science Research, 41(4), 889-900.

Schofield, M. J. (1984). Women's marital dissatisfaction: A longitudinal analysis. Journal of Marriage and Family, 46(2), 481-490.

As someone who has seen how toxic masculinity and feminity have ruined friends' relationships, it's inspired me to look deeper into these supposed gender expectations and what they can do to individuals, especially in relationships.