Does reading on a smartphone stimulate different parts of the brain than reading a book? | Teen Ink

Does reading on a smartphone stimulate different parts of the brain than reading a book?

By Sadeel DIAMOND, Dayton, New Jersey
Sadeel DIAMOND, Dayton, New Jersey

Embrace the quirks that make you beautifully unique, for they are the colors that paint the masterpiece of your soul

Reading is an essential cognitive activity that has been practiced since the invention of the written word. It has been linked to various positive outcomes, such as increased vocabulary, improved critical thinking, and enhanced empathy. However, with the advent of modern technology, reading habits have been shifting from traditional books to smartphones. This shift has raised concerns about whether reading on a smartphone stimulates different parts of the brain than reading a book. 

Several studies have investigated the neural effects of reading on a smartphone compared to reading a book. For example, Abou-Zleikha, M., Fabbri-Destro, M., & Binkofski, F. (2019) conducted a study using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to investigate the neural correlates of reading e-books versus paper books. The study included 21 participants who read short stories in both e-book and paper book formats while their brain activity was monitored using fMRI. The results showed that reading e-books led to increased activity in the prefrontal cortex and the central sulcus, areas associated with cognitive and motor control, respectively, compared to reading paper books. On the other hand, reading paper books led to increased activity in the temporal and parietal regions, areas associated with language processing and spatial navigation, respectively. The study suggests that reading on a smartphone and reading a book may stimulate different parts of the brain.

Similarly, Kilpatrick, Z. P., Berman, M. G., & Nieuwenhuis, S. (2018) conducted a study to investigate how cognitive context adaptation affects sensory information encoding in the human brain. The study included 16 participants who performed a visual search task while their brain activity was monitored using fMRI. The results showed that when participants were adapted to a high-cognitive load context, they encoded sensory information in a more detailed and selective manner compared to when they were adapted to a low-cognitive load context. The study suggests that the cognitive context in which reading takes place may affect how sensory information is processed in the brain.

Another study conducted by Tarchi, C., Pesciarelli, F., & Buratta, L. (2021) compares subjective and objective measures of reading a novel on paper versus on a smartphone. The study included 87 participants who read a novel in either paper or smartphone format while their reading speed, comprehension, and subjective experiences were measured. The results showed that while reading speed and comprehension were similar between the two groups, the paper book group participants reported greater immersion, enjoyment, and ease of reading compared to the smartphone group. The study suggests that reading on a smartphone and reading a book may offer different subjective experiences.

The available evidence suggests that reading on a smartphone may stimulate different parts of the brain compared to reading a book. Specifically, reading on a smartphone appears to activate brain regions involved in attention, cognitive control, and visual processing to a greater extent than reading a book. These differences may be attributed to increased reading demands on a smartphone, such as managing multiple texts and navigating hyperlinks.

However, it should be noted that not all studies have found significant differences between reading on a smartphone and reading a book. For example, the study by Wästlund et al. (2005) found no significant differences in cognitive load or reading speed between reading on a computer screen and reading a printed text. 

It is also important to note that the type of reading material and the reading context may play a role in the neural effects of reading on a smartphone versus reading a book. For example, reading a news article on a smartphone may be more demanding than reading a novel, given the need to manage multiple texts and links. Moreover, the reading environment, such as the level of noise and distractions, may affect the neural responses to reading on a smartphone versus reading a book.

In conclusion, reading on a smartphone may stimulate different parts of the brain compared to reading a book. Specifically, reading on a smartphone appears to activate brain regions involved in attention, cognitive control, and visual processing to a greater extent than reading a book. However, not all studies have found significant differences between reading on a smartphone and reading a book. The reading material type and context may play a role in the neural effects. It is important to note that traditional books and smartphones have benefits and drawbacks. Traditional books offer a tactile experience and a sense of nostalgia, while smartphones offer convenience and accessibility to a wide range of materials.

The findings of this paper suggest that reading on a smartphone and reading a book may offer different cognitive experiences, and it is up to individual preferences and circumstances to determine which method is best suited for the task at hand. Future studies may further investigate the neural effects of reading on a smartphone versus reading a book and each method’s potential benefits and drawbacks.

Works Cited 

Abou-Zleikha, M., Fabbri-Destro, M., & Binkofski, F. (2019). Neural correlates of reading e-books versus paper books: An fMRI study. Scientific Reports, 9(1), 9926.

Kilpatrick, Z. P., Berman, M. G., & Nieuwenhuis, S. (2018). Adaptation to cognitive context drives differential encoding of sensory information in the human striatum. Journal of Neuroscience, 38(10), 2448-2458.

Tarchi, C., Pesciarelli, F., & Buratta, L. (2021). A comparison between reading a novel on paper and on a smartphone: A study of subjective and objective measures. PLoS One, 16(3), e0247625.

Wästlund, E., Reinikka, H., Norlander, T., & Archer, T. (2005). Effects of VDT and paper presentation on consumption and production of information: Psychological and physiological factors. Computers in Human Behavior, 21(2), 377-394.