The Mighty Lion | Teen Ink

The Mighty Lion

June 17, 2009
By Emily Kirk BRONZE, Snoqualmie, Washington
Emily Kirk BRONZE, Snoqualmie, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Mighty Lion















The lights are off, the curtains are closed, and the only things you can hear are the ushered mumbles of silent whispers. Here we are, in the auditorium of Mt. Si High School, just about to perform a play called “Circus, Circus.” I myself, a nine year old girl, playing the part of a ‘mighty lion.’

I stood their on the risers behind the curtains, amongst my fellow thespian friends, waiting for our music instructor, Mr. Bliven, to come out and start the show. Nerves took over my body, as the whispering suddenly stopped, and the curtains began to separate. Meaning the show will start to take place soon. I looked out into the audience, trying franticly to find my parents for reassurance. Once I found them, I quickly tore my eyes off of them, seeing Mr. Bliven, motion for us to sit down.

Mr. Bliven, turned his attention away from us, and down to the awaiting pairs of eyes below him. He then introduced the audience to us actors in the stands. Mr. Bliven, turned back around to us, and gestured us to rise. We did as we were told, and stayed silent.

As the music started, the butterflies that had flown into my stomach, began to morph into birds, with all the nerves in my body. Everyone started to sing the first song, by now my clammy hands had started to rattle. After the first few songs, my nerves had started to settle. But that didn’t last long, as our next song was about to start.

All of the kids that were dressed for their part in the song, walked out of the stands, and got ready in their positions on stage. Soon the music started to blare through the speakers, shaking the ground with every beat. As everyone started to move, and dance, my ‘might lion’ group started to walk around in a circle. Every time it was my turn to be turned to the audience, I would get a quick glimpse of all the acrobats, and clowns goofing off. ‘Why couldn’t I’ve just picked a simple clown part?’ I thought to myself. One by one, the other ‘mighty lions’ started to drift away from the circle, and sing their part.
“I’m a lion, a mighty lion, fast and fierce and more. No denying, a dandelion, listen to me roar!”

I had know idea what was coming over me. Every year I would do the play, and sing. But this year it was different. All the other plays, I was a tree or a horse, maybe once a cow with my friends. So I guess it is a bit different, seeing as how I now have to go up on stage and sing a solo, in front of all one hundred pairs of eyes.

Just when I thought all my nerves had gone away, they crept their way back up again. And not the small butterflies, or the birds, oh no, it was full on hawk and eagles!

“fast and fierce, and more. No denying, a dandelion, listen to me roar!”
‘Oh no’ I thought, ‘I’m right after Alex, (my best friend) who has to do her flip. ‘Oh boy, here it comes.’ Right now, those hawks and eagles, are an understatement compared to the now developing dragon in the pit of my stomach. ‘Great, Alex, just did her flip, now I guess it’s my time to shine.’

I stood there with my mouth wide open ready to belt out the words, but there seemed to be a lump in my throat, preventing me from singing.

“I’m a lion, a mighty lion, fast and fierce and more.” At last I found my voice, and at the right moment too. It was soft and quiet at the begging, but as I continued to sing, it all started to build up. “No denying, a dandelion, listen to me roar!” I could hear the pounding feet behind me, coming closer, with every step. The pounding, slightly mixed to the rhythm of the music’s strong beats. I soon saw my ‘mighty lion’ brethrens next to me, as we were about to finish our song.

“Rrrooaarrr!” we said in unison, jumping in the air, and as we landed, posed a lion-like pose.

We stayed like that until the audience erupted into a huge fit of applause. I could hear all the cheers mixed with our deep breathing from all the dancing and singing. I started to feel the huge smile form on my face, as we walked back to our seats, with the audience still applauding.

As the show continued, and came to a heartfelt ending, the audience, once again, applauded one last time before the deep crimson red curtains slowly closed, and the lights dimly went on. As if right on cue, everyone started to move around the stage and talk at a level where if you didn’t want to become deaf, you’d have to cover your ears.

We were lead out the thick double doors, and out to meet our parents. I waited for my parents at the usual spot from my previous plays. They soon found my, and all at once, started their congrats. Of course, having a little brother, who just learned that lions are not friendly animals, said,

“Uh-oh! It’s a lion! Quick, someone shoot it!”

After, they finally stopped shouting their congrats, we headed out to the car, and to a nice awaiting dinner. As I sat there, thinking to myself, watching the trees fly by, I came to a conclusion. ‘I want to continue acting and drama.’ So from then on, and still today, I participate in drama class.