Frankenstein Compassion Paper | Teen Ink

Frankenstein Compassion Paper

Single in the World

Alone, terrified and fearful is what explains this horrific creature. How sad it would be if you lived a terrible life that way. People running away from you and not knowing why or realizing that you were an invention. As readers, I think we should feel compassion for this creature. Compassion for the monster is immensely intended because he has no one else to cope with and he didn’t choose to be created. The monster had no idea what was going on when Victor first created him. Does the monster deserve this?
Readers should feel compassion for the monster, because there was no one on this planet like him. I don’t think the monster deserves this aloneness. Just put yourself in the monster’s shoes. Imagine if everyone on this planet were aliens and you were the only human. As the creature observes the cottagers he describes and says, “Agatha fainted, and Safie unable to attend to her friend, rushed out of the cottage. Felix darted forward, and with supernatural force tore me from his father, to whose knees I clung; in a transport of fury, he dashed me to the ground and struck me violently with a stick”(123-124). This quote is important because it explains that no matter how hard the monster tried to make friends, everyone was petrified of his grotesque appearance. The creature says as he sees his reflection in the pool of water, “At first I stared back, unable to believe that it was indeed I who was reflected in the mirror; and when I became fully convinced that I was in reality the monster that I am, I was filled with the bitterest sensations of despondence and mortification” (101). This quote explains how bad the creature felt about himself. The creature knew he was different and didn’t know how to change that. The creature says to Victor, “You must create me a female for me with whom I can live in the interchange of those sympathies necessary for my being” (134). The creature realizes that he is alone and wants someone like him. Since everyone is scared of him, he thinks this female creature won’t be. Most people know someone that they have things in common with and share their thoughts with them. The creature didn’t have anyone like that. Would you want to feel that way?
Another reason why readers should feel compassion for the monster is because the monster never asked to be created. Even though babies are never asked to be created, society understands that babies need time to learn the concepts of life. Victor says, “As the minuteness of the parts formed a great hindrance to my speed, I resolved, contrary to my first intention, to make the being of a gigantic stature, that is to say, about eight feet in height, and proportionably large” (39). This quote explains that Victor wanted to create a creature and the creature didn’t have a choice. Since Victor had much knowledge about philosophy and science it was perfect for him to experiment on making a creature. The creature says, ”The cottagers made many signs which I did not comprehend, but I saw that her presence diffused gladness through the cottage, dispelling their sorrow as the sun dissipates the morning mists” (105). This quote explains that since the monster was thrown into this world, he didn’t know English so in other wards he couldn’t talk to anyone. It made the monster mad that he couldn’t understand what the cottagers were saying but with time he caught on. The creature says to Victor,”I will revenge my injuries; if I can not inspire love, I will cause fear, and chiefly towards you my archenemy, because my creator, do I swear inextinguishable hatred” (135). This Quote explains that the monster became angry at Victor at times and begged for things from Victor since he created him. Should the creature be blamed if he didn’t mean to come to life?
Finally, I think readers should feel compassion for the creature. Compassion for the monster is immensely intended because he has no one else to cope with and he intentionally didn’t plan to be created. We humans go through the life cycle, but in the monsters case, he didn’t. It was harder for him to adjust to the real aspects and learn the way we humans live. Did the monster deserve this kind of life?