Dream Career | Teen Ink

Dream Career

By Author3946 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Author3946 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

I have been told I have big dreams. My dream job would be one where I can travel across the globe to see old architecture and monuments. I long to design buildings in such a manner that transports people back in time.  I hope and dream my works of writing will be shown to the world. I lust for a job where I can lead a company. I pray to fly high and fast just like in the movies I watch.

To travel the world seems like such a fantasy for a person like me, but I don’t care. I will travel the world for my job. I will explore the cracks and dents that linger in the ground in Germany. I will uncover the secrets to the pyramids in Egypt. I will journal about my journey back in time to the age of Vikings when I visit Scotland. I will live in the small towns in Iceland where the whales live and the mountains sing through the screams of colors that highlight the sky in the Borella's. I will find the ghosts that haunt the Himalayan mountains. I will write about my time falling in love with the city of lights. I will travel the world and bring bits and pieces back for my Nana who told me to travel the world for her. 

When I return home I will resurrect the details of architecture. I will restore the designs on city skyscrapers and small-town homes. I will have the job of telling stories through blueprints and I will carve them into the stone from which the buildings are made of. Each swirl and dent in the architecture will have a purpose. I will design the most exquisite buildings for my Grandpa who helplessly witnessed the death of detail throughout time.

My stories will not only be told through buildings but also through writing. I will write everything that comes to mind. I will tell a thousand stories. I will write about lonesome detectives that find hope in their final case. I will write about widowed women who find their voice through tragedy. I will write for my brother whom I have bonded with over books and stories. 

I dream of being a powerful businesswoman who empowers others and changes the world. I dream that I will be on the top floor of the tallest skyscraper working hard each and every day. I will build a fortune 500 company from the ground up for my Mom who taught me that you have to work for your dreams and my Dad who showed me confidence and wit in the business world. 

I dream that I will acquire a job that allows me to fly as fast and as high as I can, pushing the limits of speed, going faster than light. I yearn to fly in jets that leap from naval ships to defend our country. I want to feel the adrenaline pumping through my veins. I want to fly around the world watching the clouds pass me by for my neighbor who showed me the world's beauty through photos he had taken while in the sky. 

I wish, hope, pray, and ache for a job that allows me to do all of these. I want a job that gives me adventure, beauty, and purpose. I want a job where I can give others hope and security. If only a job that encompasses all of these existed... 

This piece is a compilation of all my dream careers put into one essay.