Take a Picture by the Creek | Teen Ink

Take a Picture by the Creek

October 25, 2022
By Author3946 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Author3946 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

High in the mountains strayed from the man-made path lay a shallow river. Its untouched purity, hidden by the bright green foliage.  The undergrowth begs for sunlight as the trees towered over them. The same trees that settlers had once passed as they moved through this vast land years ago.

 Dead trees fell perfectly into place, lining the river in such an artistic manner only nature could create. 

Their bark stripped from their trunk and given back to the forest. The stones gave home to the forest moss, hinting more green into the scene. The water poured over the rocks, smoothed by time. 

My family and I, the size of ants compared to the river. The stream flowed for miles into the deep forest. Only breaking its transparency to wash over the rocks. 

My brother sat searching beyond the river and into the trees for animal life. The animals are aware of our presence. Just as they had been aware of the hunter's presence hundred of years ago. The instincts are still running deep in their veins. We were but guests, welcoming ourselves into the home of the deers and bears. 

My Mom and sister stood watching the water flow gracefully over the rocks, washing them clean day after day. They were smooth and shiny under the cold crystal clear water. My mom started to pull out her phone but quickly put it back. She simply wanted to enjoy the moment for longer. A picture by the creek can wait.

My Dad and I listened to the scarlet tanager's song to nature. The scenery was truly a  sight to be seen. Yet, also a reminder to us of nature's power and beauty all at the same time. I hope to take my children here one day, and their children's children. A humbling reminder to past and future generations of how we as humans are only ever guests in nature. Only ever able to behold the beauty of this land- Never to truly obtain it.