Not Just a State | Teen Ink

Not Just a State

October 9, 2022
By 4tilmont SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
4tilmont SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

If you go down South in between South Carolina and Alabama, you'll find me. 


Not like the tangerine, but just like the peach. Bright, determined, Georgia. Gracious. Generous. Grounded. Giving. Glistening. 


Georgia like a farmer. Farmers like a person who gets stuff done, works constantly, and earns what they get. I like the sound of that. Georgia. 


It is smooth but rough. Smooth like a silk sheet but rough like a broken piece of glass. A warm color, such as light pink or a bright orange, just like me. Sort of like a sunrise or sunset. the beginning of something new or  the work that was accomplished that day. 


Just like Nantucket. Warm sun, grainy sand, bright hydrangeas, and sails breezing in the wind. Nantucket, but also the hamptons. Glamorous, yet suburban and luxurious.  


A warm person. A person you go to for help, a person you go to when you are feeling down, a person to cheer you up. Georgia.


The type of name that most people haven’t heard of other than the state or country. Like most names there is at least one famous person correlated with that name. Georgia O'Keeffe. Now I don’t like painting or drawing myself, but there is nothing more calming than walking through an art museum. Hundreds of pieces, some like each other and some like no other. Sounds like my name can fit in at an art museum. It stands by itself, loud and proud. Not like any other piece there, you wouldn’t see a duplicate. 

 

Looking around, comparing and contrasting, but yet trying to focus on just this piece and not the one before or which one you’ll go to after. Giving this piece the time of day to admire. To not only just look at it, but understand why the artist used the medium, why it was placed in this location out of the others, and why it is significant. 

 


Like all others, like some others and like no other 

 

I stand proud for my name, unique, clever, different, and unlike no other. I would never get confused with another human being since I’m that different. While most people my age don’t care about grades or school, I study 24/7 wanting to learn more about everything. If someone sleeps until twelve I would’ve been up since 6. Like I said before, unique. Maybe it’s not unique, but it's an older soul. It is the first thing someone hears when they meet me, what I write on the top of every paper, what people call to get my attention and so much more. It is who I am and who I grew up to be. Nothing will change that. Seven letters and two syllables. Georgia.