A Small Chance | Teen Ink

A Small Chance

By Chandra Hammond BRONZE, Aurora, Oregon
Chandra Hammond BRONZE, Aurora, Oregon

A Small Chance

“Come on Chandler!” Sophie yelled.

“I’m coming!” I yelled back.

We both ran out the door to the car. Nathan was already outside by our white Toyota Camry waiting for the keys. We all got in the car and buckled up to leave. It was a beautiful day today in California outside of Monterey. I noticed that the sun was shining as we left our new white house.

“What movie are we seeing again?” Nate asked.

I was about to answer when Sophie yelled,” HANNAH MONTANA!”

“Oh yea, I forgot,” Nate said.

“How could you forget?!” Sophie insisted.

“I’m not sure,” he laughed. “It’s not like you talked about it everyday!”

“I did not! Sheez, hurry up, your driving like my grandma!” Sophie complained. “We are going to be late!!”

“Sophie, we’re almost an hour early,” I said.

“Yea, but we need to get good seats,” Sophie said annoyed by our attitudes.

“Relax, we are almost there,” I replied.

When we got to the theatre Sophie jumped out of the car and raced to the ticket booth. Nate waited for me as I got out of the car and then took my hand.

“Wow! She’s excited,” he commented and chuckled.
“Yea, she hasn’t stopped talking about this all month!”

Sophie ran back over to us and grabbed my hand pulling me as hard as she could demanding, “Let’s go!”

I grudgingly moved along as she pulled my hand. When we got to the ticket booth she was jumping up and down like a little frog.

“Two adult and one child for the six o’clock showing of---“

“HANNAH MONTANA!” Sophie screamed, before I could tell them.

“Okay here you go, have a great time,” the lady said handing us our tickets.

The theater was huge. Lights everywhere were shinning. Our tickets said we were going to be in the number two theatre room.

“Can we get popcorn and pop?” Sophie asked.

“Sure, I’ll buy,” I said.

“No its okay I will,” said Nathan.

So we got one large popcorn, a small sprite for Sophie (even though she complained sense she was six and a half she could get a medium) and a large Root Beer for Nate and me.

When we walked into the theater there was no one as I suspected, so we went and sat near the back waiting for the movie to start.

“We’re going to finish our food before the movie even starts,” I said chomping on popcorn.

“It’s okay we have free refills,” Nate replied.

“Shhh, no talking,” complained Sophie.

“Okay, I’ll go get some,” I said.
“I’ll get it. It’s okay,” Nate insisted.

“No, no, I got it,” I said getting up.

When I got back the movie started five minutes later. I thought Sophie would scream when the movie started just like the other little girls did but she didn’t. She just sat there starring at the screen. Not laughing at the jokes, but she looked like she was shivering. That’s weird I thought, she was so excited to see this before.

“Sophie, are you cold?” I asked.

“Just a bit,” she said quietly.

“Here, use my jacket,” Nate said handing his over.

“No!” She said loudly and then quieted down.” I’m fine.”

“No really.” Nate said handing her his jacket again, but Sophie pushed away.

“Sophie? Are you okay? Your really hot like you have a fever,” Nate said confused.

“I’m fine, I just want to watch the movie,” she said sternly.

I put my hand on her forehead feeling her temperature as she tried to pull away. She was hot, really hot.

“Sophie you’re burning up! We need to get you home,” I said panicked.

“But I want to watch the movie,” she pouted with her lip curled down as little kids did.

“We’ll watch it another time, I promise, but we need to get you home.”

“Okay,” she said quietly.

We all got up and you could hear people yelling to get down as we slid by people in the row. Finally we got out of the theatre and Sophie didn’t look in the mood for walking so Nate picked her up and carried her to the car.

“I’ll sit in back with her,” I said.

“Okay,” Nate said getting into the driver’s seat and as I buckled Sophie and me up.

We started to drive away when Sophie started shivering again. So I tried to pile all our jackets on her.

“Is she okay?” Nate said looking back.

“I think so. When we get home I don’t want you to get sick so drop my mom’s car off and take yours home.

“No, I’ll stay. I’ve already been around her,” he said as her turned back around.

But he turned too late. We were driving through an intersection and a car going through a red light slammed into the side of the car on my side. Not Sophie’s or Nate’s. My side. It went pitch black and then a great force was pulling me farther and farther back. I wasn’t sure where, but I couldn’t let it take me. I felt weak and so I couldn’t pull hard as the blackness took me. It was gaining on me making me go deeper and deeper into it. I finally gave up to the darkness letting it take me once and for all.

Beep…Beep…Beep…Beep…Beep… That’s all I heard as my eyes fluttered open to see nothing but blurriness. I couldn’t see much. Just shapes.

Where was I? I couldn’t remember a thing. Not until it all came back at me as one big blow to the head. I rushed quickly to sit up, but I couldn’t. Something was pushing me down. I didn’t want to fight it because it gave me terrible pain if I would. Then I tried to put my conscious back. What’s happening? Where is everyone?

“Mom? Nate? Sophie? What’s going on?” I asked hoping someone was there. Not sure if there was.

“She’s awake,” said a familiar voice.

I closed my eyes and opened them again. That helped. I could see better. It was like when you’ve been asleep for a long time and wake up too quick.

Two people rushed over to me at once. It was my mom and dad.

“I’ll call for a nurse,” my father said.

“Oh sweetie,” my mother sobbed.

“Mom?” I said, barely getting the words out. My voice was very raspy so I wasn’t even sure she could understand me.

“Yes?”

“Where’s… Sophie? And Nate? Are they alright?”

“Yes and no,” she said pausing. “Nate’s airbag released knocking the air out of him and taking most of the hit. He has a broken wrist and some burns from the seat belt, but other than that he’s fine. He’s getting food from the cafeteria right now. I’ll go get him while your father… Explains the rest,” she said the rest as she ran out the room bawling.

What’s the bad part? What’s going on? I’m so confused. What’s wrong with Sophie? Someone tell me! I screamed in my head.

My father could tell what I was thinking, “She’s not hurt.” He said pausing for a moment and walking towards me. “Right before the crash you protected her. She barely has a scratch. Now you on the other hand...”

“Then what’s the bad news?” I asked

“Well…Ummmmm..,” He started.

“Dad! What is it?” I said impatiently.

“When they were making sure she didn’t have any broken bones or anything, Nate reminded them of her fever to see if she had a virus or something. They did some tests and…” He didn’t finish.

“And what?! And what Dad?” I screamed.

“They found leukemia,” my dad said quietly.

I lost what was happening for a moment. What? No way. This can’t be. Sophie has leukemia? Is this a dream?

“I wonder where the nurse is?” he mumbled and she came in right on cue. I think she was waiting for us to finish.

The lady took my temperature and checked me. Then Nate, my mom and Sophie appeared.

“Sophie! Nate!” I jumped.

“Hold on,” the nurse said restraining me. “Relax.”

They walked slowly toward me. Well Nate did, Sophie ran. Then the nurse left us alone for a moment.

“Chandler!” Sophie called as she jumped on my bed. Immediately everyone moved forward to make sure that I was okay and wasn’t in pain. Right then I noticed how much I hurt. OUCH!
“It’s okay,” I said. “How long was I out and what did I break?”
“Four days and you broke your left arm, a couple of ribs and have a stress fracture in your ankle. You got hit pretty hard”, said Nate as he came forward.
“Wow.” I said in amazement. “How are you feeling?”
“Okay. You?”
I thought about that. I felt like I got his by a car. Oh yea. I did. “I’ve been better,” I said.
“Right.” Nate said sarcastically.
“How are you?” I asked Sophie.
“Good thanks to you,” she said cuddling closer to me.
“Me? Oh and what’s the deal with the…?” I didn’t finish, I couldn’t.

Just then the nurse came in. “Okay. I f you’re going to upset her I need you to get out!”

“But I’m not done talking to them,” I complained.

“Doctor’s orders,” she said overruling me.

Sophie hugged me and kissed me on the cheek, “I love you.” She said and jumped off my bed.

Then my parents came over and kissed me on the forehead.

“May I stay?” Nate asked.

“No, I’m sorry. I’ll let you know in a couple of hours when you can,” the nurse said.

“Okay. Thank you,” he said and kissed me.

“I love you.”

He left the room with the nurse and I was alone. I did feel tired, but I wanted to know more about Sophie. I guess it would have to wait. The faster I get to sleep, the faster I’ll know. I slowly drifted to sleep thinking about seeing them again.

I woke up ten hours later and Nate was there beside me. He looked tired. Sophie was also there asleep by me in my bed. I was used to that. Sometimes when she got nightmares she would run to my room and sleep with me instead of our parents.

“Hey,” I said quietly trying not to wake Sophie up.

“What?!” He said looking up shocked,”Oh hey.”

“So will you tell me more about Sophie’s… Leukemia?” I whispered.

“Yea, sure. Well it’s none they’ve seen before but they’re sure it’s a type of Leukemia because of the bone marrow. They can’t do surgery because it’s all over the body. We just have to see what goes. She doesn’t have a high risk of… Living. They don’t know this type, so it’s hard.

“Oh, okay, thanks.”

I couldn’t think about this. Not right now. I need to rest some more, besides I’d probably start crying.

The next day I felt a lot better. Not as tired or weak.

“Can we go home?” I asked my mother.

“Yes, we will have to talk with your teachers and coaches when we get home though. You can’t play basketball anymore,” she assured me.

“What?! I love basketball!” I complained.

“I know but you can’t run on your ankle or dribble. There’s always next year.”

“Yea but then everyone will have more practice then me,” I complained again even though I knew it was no use.

“Well go to basketball camp or something during the summer, but your not playing the rest of the season.”

“Fine,” I pouted just as Sophie would do.

“Do you want to see Sophie?” My mom asked.

“Sure I said getting up and grabbing my crutches. It was hard with a cast on my arm and walking with crutches. “Onward,” I said holding out my arm for my mom to lead.

We went home that day. All of us. Doctor Fraiser wanted us to stay in the hospital so they could keep an eye on Sophie sense this was a new Leukemia, but my parents disagreed and said they would call for new information on her or take her in. They didn’t want to pay for staying in the hospital, it cost’s a lot. Luckily Dr. Fraiser is a good friend of my moms so she knew connections and grudgingly agreed.

The next day was a school day. It was okay. Many of my friends like Sherise, Lucy and Ellie helped me a lot with my books and stuff. My friends were freaking out when they saw me and that I hadn’t contacted them to tell them what happened that they had to find out in the paper. I didn’t tell them about Sophie though. The time wasn’t right. I would tell them when it was right. Nate was sad because he got into the car crash, but I assured him we would get a new car because it was the other guy’s fault so he would have to pay for it. That was pretty much my first day back to school though.

Two weeks later I was feeling better and better. I was going to get my cast off in two more weeks and Sophie was doing just fine. Was. She started acting up having bad pains and abnormal bleeding. So we took her to Dr. Fraiser.

“Well, from our tests she’s not doing well. Not well at all. She has a small chance to live. We’re not sure if we can give her a bone marrow transplant or not. The Leukemia needs to go into remission. There’s not a high chance of that though. I’m sorry,” Dr. Fraiser said to us sadly.

I started crying when I heard this and ran out the room outside to the cold. I needed to calm myself down until I stopped crying. I finally got the nerve to go back inside to comfort Sophie. When I got to her room, there she was, all excited to see me. She seemed normal. She looked a little normal just a little pale, but inside her Leukemia was attacking her.

“Hey Soph,” I said walking in.

“Chandler,” she smiled.

“Did they tell you?” I asked.

“Yes,” she said and looked down.

I rushed over to her, “It’s going to be okay.” I sobbed kneeling by her bed.

“I know,” she answered patting me on the head.

“Dr. Fraiser said I have to stay a few days until I get better.”

“Okay, I’ll visit you after school. I have to go. Sorry.” I sobbed.

“I know.” She knew I needed to go home and cry some more?

“I love you.”

“Love you too.”

I went to the hospital after school each day and played games and such to keep her company. It was hard to look at her blue eyes and know behind them was a disease killing her. And wondering how long I had left with her. Dr. Fraiser was getting more and more worried about her. One day after school I talked with Sophie about dying,

“Sophie?” I asked. “Are you afraid to die?”

“A little.”

“Really? I don’t want you to die, I always pictured me dying first sense I’m older so I never worried about it.”

“I might not die,” Sophie said confidently.

“I know, but you believe in the small chance of living? Also if you had one wish what would it be?” I asked.

Yes, I believe in any chance. And you know my wish don’t you?” She asked so sure that I knew, but I shook my head. “To meet Hannah Montana! Duh,” Sophie laughed.

I hadn’t heard Sophie laugh in a long time. It was good to hear.

“Oh yea,” I faked laughed. How could Sophie believe in a small chance? She had so much courage.

Sophie was doing worse and worse. Dr. Fraiser believed the Leukemia wouldn’t go into remission so we were all waiting for the day. Sense they believed she wouldn’t make it Sophie got her wish from Make a Wish Foundation to meet Hannah Montana. They went shopping together and Sophie got a makeover. She loved it. She even got to be on TV with her. Sophie got her autograph and everything Hannah Montana you could imagine. A backpack, lunch box, stickers, posters, movies, etcetera. Sophie would turn seven in a couple of months but we weren’t sure if she would make it that long. She was practically living in the hospital. Sophie tried to stay strong one day after the other. Whenever we thought she was improving she would get worse the next day.

Sophie did make it to her Birthday. April 30th. That was a good day Sophie said she felt great. I got her a picture of her and me together and put it on her table to look at. We also got her balloons and some cake. We were glad she felt good that day but didn’t think it would last, but it did. Sophie was getting a little better each day and Dr. Fraiser said the Leukemia was going into remission. That meant she could get a bone marrow transplant and she might be cured forever. She was to get the transplant tomorrow morning. Dr. Fraiser said that the transplant should work just fine.

“This is out only chance, we don’t know if she’ll stay in remission for any longer,” Dr. Fraiser said to my parents and I.

“So this is it? We sign the papers and she may be cured?” My father asked.

“Yes.” She said straight out.

“Okay we’ll do it,” my mother said.

Sophie went into the transplant that day. I was so worried walking up and down the gray halls pacing. Hoping it would work. That day was the longest day ever. Seconds felt like days and minutes felt like years. It felt like a million years had gone by when Dr. Fraiser finally came out.

She came out and told us, “She’s going to be fine. Her body is reacting as it should.”

I cried of joy and ran over to her, “Thank you,” I sobbed.

“Your welcome, but it’s not just me who deserves the credit. If Sophie didn’t hold on that long then…”

I knew the rest. But all I cared was Sophie would be okay. She would live and be a little kid again. Be the little kid with the most energy I had ever seen. And walk again on the green grass in bare feet to smell the fresh air after it had rained. She could be Sophie again.