Not Enough Time | Teen Ink

Not Enough Time

June 1, 2009
By edward pinzon BRONZE, Moreno Valley, California
edward pinzon BRONZE, Moreno Valley, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“The airplane will be landing very shortly. Please pack your belongings and get ready to exit the airplane.” The next few minutes were long and strenuous. I was barely coming into the reality that I was going to meet my Uncle George for what could be the last time. All these thoughts were going through my head at a quick pace. When the plane arrived I heard cheers of tourists being happy that we had finally arrived after and 8 hour flight. My family and I walked out of the airplane and were greeted by my Aunt Teresa. Tears of joy fell from her eyes as I noticed that she had come alone. I paused for a second and thought of my uncle. I imagined him there standing upright with that smile that could light up an entire room. I was scared to see how lung cancer affected him. I didn’t want to put a different image into my head of who he was.

“Let’s go home. The taxi is waiting outside,” said my Aunt Teresa. As we were driving to her house, I saw signs the signs that read “Merida, Yucatan” on them. I thought about why I came here in the first place. I think it was to travel because I don’t want to see my uncle in a weak state. For my entire life my uncle has been a strong man and influenced me greatly. How am I supposed to look at him in the eyes seeing him like that? At the same time I want to cherish the time I have left with him. We had now arrived at my aunt’s house which was on the corner of a long street next to a baseball field. That field had been where I used to spend time with my uncle. We went slowly into the house because we didn’t want my uncle to wake up. We quietly opened the door to my uncle’s room and there he was watching the TV. His face light up like a star on top of tree during Christmas. I gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek. We talked for a little while and then we said our goodbyes. I had barely talked to him because I was almost at a lack of words being around him. I had never wanted to see him like this, and it broke my heart. That night while lying in bed, I stayed up for hours thinking about him. I thought about my uncle, his life, and the stories that he had told me. “Get up, we have bad news,” said my dad. I had not heard what my dad said, but I had a bad feeling when I looked at the time and it was 6 in the morning.

How many things I wish I could’ve told him. I would’ve told him that he is the person that has inspired me the most in this world. I wish I would’ve told him to be strong and that I’m there for him. How many times until the day I die will I think about the hundreds of thousands of questions that I wish I could’ve asked him? There just wasn’t enough time for me to explain to him how much I love him and admire him. If I could redo that last night, I would’ve not taken it for granted and I would’ve used it wisely.