It Paid Off

The second you get into that uniform, you become part of a tradition. One that used to win every ten years but now has broken the curse.
The memories of how you spent the summer come when you hear the music. Sweat, spit, grass, sunburn and sometimes even tears. The echo of the drum majors calling you to attention ring through the stadium, drill charts blowing around in the wind. Wishing that it would be freezing like it is in October when you wish it was warm like the summer. Those treasured two-minute breaks that you beg for every once in a while.
And then, before you know it Championships are there. You’re in the locker room, singing the alma mater. Nerves are kicking in and everyone wants to do their best. You don’t remember anything while you’re out on the field, performing. You blank everything out, even how you did. But when you hear your school’s name called in first place, everything comes rushing back. From the summer until now. Before you know it, you’re crying. Everything paid off.
THEE OH CENTRAL SQUARE