A Life Dictated by Time | Teen Ink

A Life Dictated by Time

June 7, 2009
By Nien Hua BRONZE, Lawndale, California
Nien Hua BRONZE, Lawndale, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

We all know that life for each individual depends on their health and living conditions. Some take time for granted and waste it away while they could be accomplishing tremendously meaningful things. Many people do not realize it, but time is a very important factor in life.

Lately I have noticed how my daily life literally runs on an unforgiving schedule. I wake up at the ungodly hour of 6am on weekdays to get ready for school. I then go to school until 3pm which totals to an amount of 7 whole hours in school. On top of that, I even have to stay for tutoring for subjects that I did not understand. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are the two days of the week when I go to complete community service at, Jane Addams Middle School, one of the two middle schools that I have gone to. When I arrive there, I go to a specific classroom where I tutor a very diligent group of sixth graders with their math. When the weekend finally arrives, I go to a place in Gardena where I work with a program called IYCC to tutor another conscientious group of kids with their Vietnamese for four hours. In a way, it is very helpful knowing everything that I have to do so I can make time for it. But living with my life so planned out and so occupied, I start to wonder at times when and where the excitement and surprises will fall in.

A few years ago, I probably would not have been able to recognize this change. However, now that I am capable of acknowledging the events occurring around me and the aftermaths of them, I am now on more familiar terms with how my life is running. In the end, all my hard work goes to the same goal. I want to be able to receive an excellent education and get a hold of a superb career that will allow me to give back to my family for what they have given me. If I ever became astonishingly successful one day, I would honestly have to say that I owed it all to my family for being the foundation of who I have become.

My life has had some interesting highs and lows. But I am pretty sure that is how most people are supposed to live their lives; no one seems to ever live the “good life” without working for it first, right? I am honored to say that I try extremely hard at what I do and give the things I do my absolute best because I know where I want to be later on in life. However, along with working hard, there a lot of times when I fall behind schedule and end up with only a few hours of sleep a night.

It would be unrealistic if I were to say that I do not enjoy my life, because I do. I appreciate the people and conditions in which I live with, and I am especially grateful that I have come through the years without too much of a bumpy road. I just hope life stays like this so I can continue to what I do long enough to reach my goals. As with everything else we enjoy in life, the trick is to know how to manage your time wisely and live with a passion for something.

Therefore, until the day I finally obtain my dream, I will continue to work attentively despite the hardships that I may approach. During this past year especially, I find myself staying up extremely late at night trying to finish up a homework assignment or project, or simply studying for a test the following day. I just hope that time will allow me to complete my goals without taking everything away from me unexpectedly.