Beaners | Teen Ink

Beaners

By Diana Lomeli BRONZE, Lawndale, California
Diana Lomeli BRONZE, Lawndale, California

My family and I are people who enjoy traveling and experiencing nature like no one else. Some of our favorite get-a-ways are rivers and lakes. We love to go fishing and camping every time it is possible. A few years ago, we visited a beautiful lake during the winter time and as you may know, weather can become pretty cold during the winter, especially if you are standing next to a body of water. We were having a great time until a couple of teenagers arrived at the same lake. At fist sight they seemed very friendly people who also loved to fish. To my surprise, they were not as friendly as they appeared.

It all started when two of the boys grabbed a few sticks from the ground and began drawing on the dirt, which seemed very soft and pebble-free. I, actually, thought it would be fun to join them so I grabbed my own stick. I was just about to walk over to the spot where the dirt was fantastic for drawing, when I spotted their mischievous looks. They were looking at the direction where my family and I were staying and they both giggled. I wondered what was so funny about their drawing that made them giggle and whisper with each other. My curiosity was so immense that I decided to go up the hill and look at their “work of art”. I expected to see their names or maybe a silly drawing, but I was shocked to see what they had written. In thick, bold letters, they wrote the word “BEANERS” with an enormous arrow pointed towards us!

I was smaller then, but I understood what it meant. My friends and I had touched the subject a few times before. I was so furious I would have acted wildly, but I held back because of my insecurity and fear. I did not speak proper English then, but I knew enough to defend my family and myself. I wanted to go after them and tell them that they had no right to label us as beaners. They did not know our nationality and even then, they could not just stereotype and prejudice. I wish I was stronger to be able to defend myself.

It is just a life experience that I hope you enjoy!