My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

By QuackDuck BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
QuackDuck BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Anytime I hear it or read it. I don’t think of any specific thing except myself. 

Whenever I hear someone say my name, I am more distracted by their tone than what they’re actually saying. 

When my parents use my full name, I know I am in trouble. I never sit and think about my own name. 

Now that I am forced to think about it, I don’t even know where it came from. It has no significance to my family tree. I have no grandparents or relatives with the same name or similar names. 

If I were to give my name its own meaning I’d use words like creative, stubborn, lively, and adventurous. 

My name is short. But not insignificant. It is light as a feather. But not without a purpose. My name is so many things. But at the same time. Nothing. The letters by themselves don't mean anything. It is up to me to give them meaning. Or to the people who say my name. 

The actual meaning is "strong-willed warrior". This definition does not apply to me in the slightest. I believe a name should have the meaning the person possessing the name wants. An empty canvas waiting to be painted. I’ve never even met another Liam and even if I did I highly doubt they’d define themself as a strong-willed warrior.