The Day I Will Never Forget | Teen Ink

The Day I Will Never Forget

Let me start this story by saying that I love cars. I really really love cars. From the massive engines in a Lamborghini to the smallest four cylinder Honda, I love cars. They are fast. They are sleek. They are awesome. I love cars. Now that you know I am some insane psycho car guy, let us move on to the meat of my story.
I recently acquired a 2004 Infiniti G35 Sport Coupe. After a two-month long search for the right car, my boss’s husband found it at a car auction. The night before the auction, he called. He told me all he knew about the car and asked how much we should bid. My father and I agreed on a low bid figuring we had to get a deal or it was not worth it. So the day of the auction came and I was expecting the worst. With such a nice car and such a low bid, there would never be a chance that we would win. Regardless, I left my phone on vibrate praying that I would get a special text.
First period Economics comes and goes with no text. Second period A.P. English comes – still no text. By third period A.P. Calculus, I had all but given up, and as my teacher lost me in antiderivatives, I daydreamed of my car. With 5 minutes remaining in class, I was shaken out of my dream world by the slight buzz of my Motorola SLVR. “Could this be it,” I asked myself. With heavy doubt, I slyly pulled my phone out of my pocket. It was from my boss’s husband. I pressed the read button eagerly hoping but expecting nothing. “Got it bro!” I paused. “Wait? ‘Got it bro?’ O dude! I have a new car!” And so it began.
I immediately began punching my friend in the desk in front of me. “Dude! Dude! Dude! I got a new car!” He turned around with an expression that showed his displeasure of my fist striking his back. Then it hit him.
“What? You got a new car? Dude that’s awesome!” I was so excited that the hitting only intensified. “What kind? What kind?” I ignored him as I kept reading the text repeatedly. I could not help but feel like this was a bad joke.
“Isn’t today April fools?” I asked my punching bag.
“Yeah man… Dude you’re not pulling one right now are you?”
“No, no, read this text.”
“O you are getting it pulled on you.”
“Am I?” After returning the message and triple checking the replies, it was clear that I had just won a beautiful new G35. My dad and I went that afternoon to pick it up. That was the best day of my life. Seeing the Brembo brake calipers, the 3.5L DOHC v6, and the most beautiful exterior ever made my day. Then came the test drive. Some say that imports carry no power. All I have to respond is the blazing fast time of my 5.3 second 0-60 and the roar of my 280 horsepower engine.
So 6 weeks later, I am still obsessed. I wash her weekly; I vacuum every few days; but I will never forget that April day when I received the message, “Got it bro!”