The Game Changer | Teen Ink

The Game Changer

My mind wanders to a memory of when it all started; during a boiling, hot lunchtime at school. My friend group and I were playing volleyball very intensely outside, to the point where we would dive and hit the ball to hear your hair whipping through the air, like we would when we would dive and catch a glass of water in our kitchen. Suddenly, the bell rang, signaling lunch was over. My face was as red as a tomato from the heat, and I was so embarrassed. I continuously positioned my head to look at my feet, and made the decision to go to the office to claim I wasn’t feeling good, so students wouldn’t have the opportunity to bully me for my tomato face. 

As I entered the office, I was greeted very nicely by the staff, and was handed a very clear, very cold, and very tasteless glass of water. My principal invited me to her office. I entered the office and sat on the chair next to her table — it felt like I was sitting on clouds compared to the rock chairs offered to students. I overheard her rehearsing what she was going to say when filming herself: she introduced a problem, explained the precautions we must take to stay safe, and shared it with the community. I was as confused as my dog that was looking for a stick I didn’t throw. Eventually, I left the office, and walked to attend advisory. 

As I was walking, I see garbage that overwhelmed the campus floor like the acne on my face. Is my face still red? Are my clothes on correctly? Is my hair presentable? I reach the classroom door, open it, and everyone looks at me like deers in headlights — quite literally since the room was dark, and outside was very bright. I close the door, find a seat, and sit down. My advisor informs me what we’re doing. We’re watching a video. It sounds familiar. It‘s explaining the spreading of a virus, how dangerous it is, the symptoms and the effects, and the precautions we must take to stay safe, including not going to school for 2 weeks. After the video, our advisor continues to explain how we must attend all of our classes, to learn what the plan is to continue learning online for that class. Class is dismissed.

I get up, walk out the door, find my friends, and completely ignore what they’re saying while walking to our classes. They sound like they’re trying to speak underwater. I’m thinking to myself, “Wow, we’re a young generation in the 21st century experiencing a pandemic, but at least I won’t get bullied for my tomato face in the near future.” 

“Hey, aren’t you hearing what I’m saying?” my friend asked.

She sounded like she was screaming at the top of her lungs.

“Yes! Good luck in your classes!” I said.

I walk away. That was scary. I attend all my classes, and it's the end of the day. I’m standing there, waiting for my mom, and looking for her car. This is my last day at school. This is my last time standing on this campus. This is my last time learning in a physical classroom. This is my last time seeing my teachers and friends. The next two weeks of quarantining and distance learning will be very unpredictable. 

I wake up, turn my computer on, turn over, and shut my eyes to darkness for just a little more. This was advisory. We typically type in the chat how we’re feeling. Next we attend all five classes throughout the day, and usually would end school around 4:30 PM. On breaks, I would continue to work on class-work/homework and ignore self-care — such as eating, drinking, and relaxing — so I wouldn’t need to continue working after 4:30 PM, but usually I’ll be working on school the whole day. This was more work than actually attending school physically, and we still participate and complete the same activities/assignments as we did when we attended school physically — such as presentations. I don’t get ready anymore. I don’t dress appropriately anymore. I don’t have a sleep schedule anymore. I don’t eat or drink regularly anymore. I don’t socialize anymore. I don’t have friends anymore. I don’t even play volleyball anymore. This was my life and my daily routine until my Sophomore school year was over. 

My Junior school year is a little different. I still wake up, turn my computer on, turn over, shut my eyes to darkness for just a little more, and participate in advisory by typing in the chat about how we’re feeling. However, I only attend two classes everyday throughout the week besides Thursday -- otherwise we’ll attend three -- but all still end school at 2:00 PM. We have those classes per module — which is just under a month — and the next module we’ll have a different set of classes. This was a huge weight off my shoulders, because now I have time for myself, while still being productive. We have hour/10 minute breaks, and hour classes, and sometimes I use those breaks to relax, eat, drink, and other times, I use those breaks to finish class-work/homework, and not eat until after 2:00 PM. Usually I’ll be finished with class-work/homework in the afternoon, but sometimes I’ll still take the whole day as I did in my Sophomore school year. Obviously, this year is easier as counting to one, two, three, not only because of the fact we have a less work-load as students, but teachers also allow late work, provide flexible office hours, one on one conversations, revision of any assignment throughout the year, etc. 

This is me now. I haven’t been back to school for a year. As the virus calms down and the precautions are less serious, I do go back to school temporarily for activities like picture day, to pick up resources -- such as books/computers for my classes -- and additional support from staff, so I’ll be familiar with the school when we return for learning in my Senior year! Although my high school experience isn’t as original as the wheat bread at Whole Foods, I learned more than I have my whole life, which makes me a better version of myself. I’m better, because during the quarantine, I joined a program for kids that specializes in aviation and offers financial resources/support for free. I’m better, because during the quarantine, I got my first job, and learned what it means to be professional and made a little bit of money. I’m better, because during the quarantine, I discovered my skills and my weaknesses, and how I could apply those skills to a business idea. I’m better, because during the quarantine, I accomplished passing Sophomore and Junior year, with a 4.0 GPA. Most importantly, I’m better because during the quarantine, I discovered who I am and what I want to be, such as my sexual orientation, and career. 

This discoveration is most important, because since I want to be an entrepreneur as a career, there’s no point of me joining an aviation program that offers financial resources/support for free to receive my private pilot's license, if I don’t want to be a professional pilot anymore. This discoversation is most important, because since I want to be an entrepreneur as a career, there’s no point generating an income from a job to supply the private pilot’s license training expenses, if I don’t want to be a professional pilot anymore. This discoversation is most important, because I learned my skills and mindset of a great work-ethic, perseverance, detail-oriented and creativity -- which is the reason for my accomplishment of a 4.0 GPA -- are compatible with an entrepreneur’s skills and mindset. This discoversation is most important, because I’m happy and no longer feel like a trapped soul in a burning house, without access to a fire department or a source of water. I’m happy, because I finally broke the cage of society’s standards and norms, and my family's expectations, and opened my wings to who I am, what I do, and what I like.

Therefore as a result of quarantine, I’m a better version of myself, because I’m more mature, more confident and I have new goals I want to accomplish and achieve, which changed my life and future, because now, I will be successful.