His Eyes

Everybody in my family has different eyes. Jody’s eyes are like pure innocence, crazy and fun-filled. And me, my eyes are intense. Green flecked with amber and hidden mystery intertwined. My dad’s eyes are the deepest sorrel. Nothing but hard work and compassion lingers there. Robert’s eyes are simple – nothing to stare at for long periods of time. And mother, who is the leader of our family, has the harshest of eyes, meant for keeping the family in line.

But Eli’s eyes, Eli’s eyes, like questioning pools of wisdom, like everlasting freedom, like an intelligent comfort that’s there even when I’m in the worst of moods because it never falters in that gaze of his, gentle to brace yourself against, bracing yourself against it and you feel strong, is the untamed sensation of his wild ancestors, is the untamed sensation of his beautiful heart pouring through those eyes and the daring nature that chases after you, and you learn with him, the rest of the world oblivious to your connection. The beautiful herd, daring nature, and oblivious world.