Show dont tell | Teen Ink

Show dont tell

By Ben Williamson GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Ben Williamson GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

“Chirp, chirp” I was awaken by the high toned whistling of the birds hiding within the rays of sun pounding through the small space my curtain allowed. “It was pool party day!” I threw the covers off my cold toed sweating body and ran to the bathroom. The tile was cold on my already freezing feet and I turned the shiny silver dial all the way to the left. I wanted a steamy shower because today was the day. I stepped in, “OUCH!” way too hot. In-between flinching and screaming like a little girl, I managed to quickly gasp the handle and with a last effort of mercy move the dial back to somewhere my now burned body could handle. Forget shampoo and soap, today was the big pool party, I had to get downstairs. I looked up to grab my towel and just like any other day, it wasn’t there. I slid the glass door to the side and stepped with one soaking wet foot fist on to the cold tile. Lifting my second foot up from the steaming shower, my toes lost grip and within two seconds I was flat on my back. My head seemed to be transformed into a bowling ball as it bounced on the tile. I said to myself, “this is the worst day ever.”