The Apocalypse | Teen Ink

The Apocalypse

By Shaq Rivera BRONZE, Kennesaw, Georgia
Shaq Rivera BRONZE, Kennesaw, Georgia

The apocalypse is believed to be the doom of all humans. It is believed to consist of many different catastrophic events. These events are also believed to completely destroy human buildings and erase our print on the earth. The apocalypse is believed to be coming somewhere in the year 2012 based on the Mesoamerican calendar which is set to end in 2012. Ancient Mayan prophecies based on two millennia of meticulous astronomical observations indicate that 12/21/12 will mark the birth of a new age, accompanied, as all births are, by blood and agony as well as hope and promise.
Since the 1940’s, and particularly, since 2003, the Sun has behaved more tumultuously than any time since the rapid global warming that accompanied the melting of the last Ice Age. Solar physicists conclude that solar activity will next peak, at record-setting levels, in 2012. The Earth’s magnetic field, our primary defense against harmful solar radiation, has begun to dwindle, with cracks comparable in scale to the ozone hole opening up randomly. A pole shift, in which such protection falls nearly to zero as the North and South magnetic poles reverse position, may well be under way.
This activity is not only dangerous because it will scorch the earth, but it will also have other effects. Storms on the Sun are related to storms on the Earth. The great wave of 2005 hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Wilma coincided with one of the stormiest weeks in the recorded history of the Sun. While having caused previous storms, the sun could easily cause some of the most devastating hurricanes the world has ever seen.
A woman named Nancy Lieder has predicted that planet X will cross paths with Earth in 2012. According to her research, this cross could very well shift the poles of the planet which would surely cause the extinction of man kind. She is completely sure that this event will take place. This decision is questionable, though, because she has made predictions in the past that this event would take place in 2003. When it didn’t happen she shifted the date to 2012.
In addition to those theories there are more. Another is that a super volcano will erupt. The Yellowstone super volcano, which erupts catastrophically every 600,000 to 700,000 years, is preparing to blow. The most recent eruption of comparable magnitude, at Lake Toba, Indonesia, 74,000 years ago, led to the death of more than 90% of the world’s population at the time.
Probability plays a big role in what people interpret as the event that will end the world. In fact, the Yellowstone super volcano is believed to be overdue for its eruption. Also, Berkeley physicists, who discovered that the dinosaurs and 70% of all other species on Earth were extinguished by an impact 65 million years ago, maintain, with 99% certainty, that we are now overdue for another such mega-catastrophe.
Eastern philosophies such the I Ching, Chinese book of changes, and also Hindu theology, have been plausibly interpreted as supporting the 2012 end date, as have a range of indigenous belief systems. Also, At least one scholarly interpretation of the Bible predicts that the Earth will be annihilated in 2012. The burgeoning Armageddonist movement of Muslims, Christians and Jews actively seeks to precipitate the final End-Times battle. “And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth” comes directly from the book in the bible, Revelations.
As scary as it is, this is the way that the earth is expected to end and it seems that there is nothing that we can do about it. All that can be done is to wait and hope for the best.