Character Building | Teen Ink

Character Building

May 18, 2009
By Anonymous

An admirable woman once said, “Don’t urge me to leave you or turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay… May the Lord deal with me, ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me” (Ruth 1:16, 17). Ruth, as quoted here, displays the characteristics of a strong, selfless woman, devoted to her loved ones no matter the cost. Ever since learning of her remarkable story I aspired to live a life resembling her own. I took the lessons I learned from her throughout my own hardships in life, and strived to live as selflessly as she did.

Death and struggles have become unfortunate interjections in my life. I was often times forced to put my social life, my schooling, and other adolescent experiences last due to these interruptions. At age eleven my grandfather died of Acute Leukemia. When I was fourteen, my uncle died of an alcohol-induced heart attack. One year later, my grandmother and best friend died of Advanced Liver cancer. Five months later, my mother was involved in a critical car crash that almost took her life. Only until recently, was I able to reflect on the life of Ruth and use her life as an example for myself during the hard times. With each death and new struggle I’ve encountered I am able to see the importance of family just as Ruth had. While my uncle was constantly in out of the hospital I learned to provide support to my mother, grandmother, and uncle even if the time was not opportune. While my grandmother was dying, I learned that my love and support towards her was more healing than any medicine. When my mother and I lost our best friend in my grandmother, I realized that a family’s love for each other could get us through any situation that God puts in our lives. Finally, throughout the time of my mother’s accident, surgeries, and recovery, I learned that the strength and bravery I always attempted to exude can provide peace in grim times, even though I was terrified that I would have to endure one more loss in my life.
It was the life of Ruth that has helped me overcome every struggle that I’ve faced. I feel that all the troubles I’ve faced have ultimately led me to teach what I’ve learned from Ruth to those in my community. I whole-heartedly believe that God has a purpose for everyone, and my purpose is to use my life lessons to provide support and guidance to my friends, family, community, and school in order for them to never face any situation alone. As a friend I provide support in any situation they do not want to face by themselves. As a family member, I offer strength and hope to them during our times of crisis. As a member of my community, I use my life lessons to reach out to those who don’t have the courage or strength to face head on the problems in their lives.