I Am | Teen Ink

I Am

By Katie Lopreore BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
Katie Lopreore BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana

I am a shoe, but not just any old shoe in the closet. I am the stiletto. What do you think of me? Do you hate the noise I make when I walk into a room? Or maybe you love the way I sparkle with every step. Either way, you notice me. I am the stiletto, the prized possession of any shoe collection. Once I’m there, you will feel incomplete without me. Do I seem proud? Well, I am… because I’m the stiletto, standing straighter than any other shoe in the room. I draw attention to myself, and you will recognize me sooner or later.
I don’t just look good; I make my girls look good. In fact, most of the time I like to let them shine more than I already do. It’s how I was made. You’ll never see it, but I carry all of their weight so they can relax. They all know by now that I can handle their weight in their most important situations when all other shoes would only bring them down. I am their stiletto, and I need to lift them up. I would even brighten the day of a girl who sees me for the first time. Perhaps they had a rough day, and they need something that will make them feel better about themselves. A nice stiletto like me would do the job!
Where could you find me? I’m at a dance, in the mall, and at everyone’s business every once in a while. People usually depend on me to not only keep them up, but also keep up with them. In fact, I rarely stumble unless somebody else causes me to fall. Usually, nobody dares to step on me or get in my way unless they are willing to feel the burn of defeat. I cannot help it if I am competitive: it is in my nature. How often do you see me next to a sign with a low price? I am a stiletto, and I am worth a lot. I come in many different colors so that I can do as much as possible, but in the end I am always the stiletto, and will never try to be anything else.
Maybe you don’t work well with me. I try my best to make everyone comfortable. Unfortunately, most young men have a problem with me. I am not a plain flip-flop or a subtle sneaker. I am the stiletto, and they realize that they cannot use me, so they avoid me at all costs. That does not bother me. I have too much support to let them get me down. I was made to make a difference in so many outfits, that it’s hard to choose just one. Whatever you see in me, I am the stiletto, and I will make a lasting impression.