Work in Progress | Teen Ink

Work in Progress

By Shelby Thomas BRONZE, Kenner, Louisiana
Shelby Thomas BRONZE, Kenner, Louisiana

Work in Progress
I am an unfinished painting. Allow me to explain. I know that some people may ask, “Hey Shelby, why a painting? Why not some other form of art?” Well, a painting, unlike a solid form of art, such as a sculpture, is open for changes, especially an unfinished painting. I am not set like a sculpture, meaning that I’ll never be “finished.” I’ll always be open to change and growth. However, just because a painting is unfinished, it doesn’t mean that there isn’t some paint on the canvas. I feel that over the past few months that I have grown into myself more than any other time in my life. By having a start on the painting, I’ve established who I am while still leaving room for improvement.

Also, paintings can be loose and free or very realistic and technical. I’d like to think of myself as a little bit of both. There are no rules when it comes to painting, and I don’t like to be given guidelines to live my life by. I would much rather experience things on my own and live from my judgments. I also consider myself sort of “out there.” I know that I have a very different outlook on life from many other kids my age, but that doesn’t make me wrong. I have my own quirks, but they help make up who I am. Paintings, much like writing, can possess several different meanings. Nothing is how it initially appears. This characteristic, I feel, represents my sense of humor and personality. I never accept things for how they are; I always search for a deeper meaning in everything. As for my sense of humor, I’m commonly told that I’m very sarcastic ….. my brother hates that about me.

The freedom that comes along with paintings is endless. I don’t think that I’ll ever be perfect, and I’m okay with that. The painting is unfinished for a reason.