Faded But Not Forgotten

I’m at my grandma’s staring at the cement when my dad pulls up in the driveway. I smile because now I know he’s okay. Even though it’s raining, I run to his big, grey SUV. My smile fades as he rolls down his window; his eyes are red and puffy with tears spilling over. He starts to explain, and although his mouth is moving, no sound is coming out. It’s like a silent movie I’ve seen too many times. As he explains, I look down and watch my tears drift to the newly fallen leaves.

The tears and leaves fade away and is replaced by a white door waiting to be opened. I realize it my door, and I slowly turn the knob and push the door open. I stare into a room that used to be mine, but now it is just a ruins. I know I’m there to see what can be salvaged, but the few things I pick up are soiled. When I look at my bed, I know I will never sleep in it again. I will never sit at my unorganized desk. Never again will I stand between these walls in which I had cried, laughed, and made a million memories that were all coming back now.

I begin to walk out of my room, empty handed, but I stop when I catch a glimpse of myself in the full-length mirror. I stop to study my face, red and puffy, just as my dad’s had been. I hear a huge bang.

Suddenly, I’m in complete darkness, and there is a pain in my side. I look up at my bed, then at the clock, which reads 3:21 A.M. It’s just another nightmare. I still cry today when I think back to the events of having to leaves my friends, my school, and my home behind. Although I know the tragedy is in the past, it lives on forever in memory and especially nightmare. The events of Hurricane Rita will never be forgotten.

SmileyFace94 said...
Feb. 21, 2010 at 9:30 am
this is really good story!! i really like it!

WriteForLove replied...
Thank you so much! That means alot to me!

dreamer_believer said...
wow, I think this is a really great story. i liked it a lot, very deep!