Health in Life | Teen Ink

Health in Life

October 18, 2019
By G0ldhurrikane BRONZE, Elkton, Maryland
G0ldhurrikane BRONZE, Elkton, Maryland
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

            According to the CDC as of 2015-2016 the percentage of teenagers aged 12-19 is at 20.6% for obesity in the United States. Now while this information has yet to be updated that percentage is unusually high for such a broad age range. There must be outside factors and in home factors contributing to this, or is it simply a lack of care to acknowledge a growing problem amongst our youth of today. Health be it physical emotional or mental all play a part in this obesity percentage but with the proper knowledge and care this number can be greatly reduced. 

          A person's physical health is centered on and around their exercise practices and their diet. When these two things are done equally the results are noticed in ones outward appearance. You’ll notice a more toned figure and a higher energy level, as opposed to someone who doesn’t practice these things you’ll notice a lot of fatigue and a less toned body structure. Physical health though oftentimes is not just on the person there are genetic components that contribute to how one's body is affected by certain activities and foods. Those genetic components and environment combine together basically to shape a particular individual. 

      When it comes to emotional health the same outside and inside factors that come with physical health are in play here. A person’s environment can add to negative health aspects. A positive environment allows for less depressive states that lead to poor or improper diets with little to no exercise. While the negative environment allows for those factors to occur at unprecedented rates. Ones emotional health can dictate their whole life going forward. It’ll dictate pretty much everything, even affect school life so much so that they do not want to attend. 

             As for mental health, this category is kind of similar to the emotional health of a person since both involve the mind. But mental health unlike the others is not as easily noticed and corrected. Mental health is the biggest challenge across all generations mainly targeted towards adolescents. A person’s mental health causes physical and emotional health deficiencies making someone seem more fatigued or less involved in daily life activities. Yet these signs aren’t always so noticeable which can make it hard for people to recognize and offer help to that individual who is facing these mental health challenges. 

          All in all physical emotional and mental health all are key factors that pose a challenge to the quality of life a person will or won’t have. Physically body movements become limited emotional the lesson becomes withdrawn and mentally the person has had enough. When in a conducive environment meant to flourish and revitalize these areas are more balanced and steady to provide a good quality of life. In a negative environment all the bad qualities that come from each take over and in turn limit quality of life and passion of life. 


The author's comments:

This is a piece about health in all of life