The Car Accident | Teen Ink

The Car Accident

By Beauzimm BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Beauzimm BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

When I was younger my goal was to always try and impress my dad, I was about 6 years old at the time when the accident happened. So it was my dad and I at home and my mom was gone on a vacation with her friends. So my dad and I decided to go to one of his friends house in search of something to do. We were there for about an hour and I started to get bored, so i decided to wander around in the woods looking for trees to cut down with an axe to impress my dad, but of course he wasn't watching so I said “Screw it, I'm going to go farther into the woods to find dead trees that I can kick down easily.” I knocked down like 20 dead trees and it brought me to about 12 in the afternoon. So I decided to start walking back, but while doing so I got lost. Then I hear my dad yell my name so I started running to his voice and when I got to him he yelled at me saying “Don’t ever go out of my site again!”

I just put my head down and nodded. After my dad yelled at me I started playing basketball for a while. After about an hour of playing basketball, I asked my dad to see what I can do to kill some time and he told me I could ride the four-wheeler around, so thats exactly what I did. I rode it up and down his roads and trails for about an hour and a half. I stopped at this one field where there was about a dozen deer. I thought to myself “ I hope I shoot a big trophy buck sometime just like my dad did.”

So I rode back up and my dad tells me to start the car. I was really excited to hear this because I can finally impress my dad. So I get in the car and start it, but since I just drove a four-wheeler I thought a car would be the same. When you put a four-wheeler into drive it doesn't move, and I learned the hard way that a car doesn’t do the same. I put the car in drive and it started moving and I started to panick, I was trying frantically to hit the brake, but my legs were too short. Then what do you know, there was an enclosed trailer in front of me and I hit it. My dad comes running out of the shop and says “What the hell just happened?” and while I was crying I said “I was trying to impress you by putting it in drive for you so you didn't have to do it when you got in it.”

So that is how not to impress your dad and after this he was mad at me for 3 weeks and my mom just laughed. One thing my dad was glad didn't happen was the airbags didn't go off, because they could have killed me with me being as young as I was.