the presidents and their past | Teen Ink

the presidents and their past

April 26, 2009
By walter ramirez BRONZE, Hyattsville, Maryland
walter ramirez BRONZE, Hyattsville, Maryland
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The first elected and declared president was the one and only George Washington on 1789. From a major militia he came to be about this important legend. Only president to be elected by a unanimous electoral vote. He was kind of weird because he lost all his teeth and had them made of ivory, cow and other strange things. This Virginian was born on Feb 22, 1732. A federalist proven to be an adequate leader to keep chaos from breaking out. From 1799; after ten years, his presidential duties came to his doom. He became ill, diagnosed with inflammatory quinsy, some kind of throat disease. His last two words were…. “Tis well”

After John Adams being elected second president came Thomas Jefferson. Born on April 13th, a good neighbor to Washington became the third president around the 1800s. on 1803 The Louisiana Purchase was agreed. Jefferson expecting to buy a region of Louisiana was dumbfounded by Napoleon suggesting to buy all Louisiana because of this the United States doubled its size. Being a Republican, Federalism came to its downfall, which had its advantages because of the exploration of the west lead by Louis and Clark. Though his achievements were great it did not last long. Death came knocking on his door 20 years later on July 4th 1826. The doctors found that he had developed an enlarged prostate that soon took him on Independence Day.


Every President had ambition and also dreams…dreams of changing the world to a better place. The year was 1860 and that man was Abraham Lincoln. 16th president and a very important one at that. No wonder he’s on a five dollar bill!! 2 years after, he made history. On Sept Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation

John F Kennedy became the 35th president on Nov 8, 1960. He was loved by his country.

And enforced nothing but peace. His death was the most drastic that took presence on November 22nd 1963 at 1 pm in Dallas , Texas . Assassinated by gunshots; one bullet passed through Kennedy’s neck, and another bullet tore away the right side of his head while in the limo. He was soon rushed to the hospital, but reviving him proved fatal.

Lyndon B. Johnson became the 36th president on November 3, 1964. He took part of many important moments. For example the Voting Rights act 1965 that outlawed discriminatory literacy tests and authorized voter registration as well as an increase of minority voting. Now who could forget the Vietnam War August 1964? Vietnam torpedoed boats and the destroyer Maddox. In March 1968 President Johnson decided to make a halt of the war to the advantage of increasing peace. When January came around he had 3 heart attacks by the 22nd he passed away.


John F Kennedy became the 35th president on Nov 8, 1960. He was loved by his country. And enforced nothing but peace. His death was the most drastic that took presence on November 22nd 1963 at 1 pm in Dallas , Texas . Assassinated by gunshots; one bullet passed through Kennedy’s neck, and another bullet tore away the right side of his head while in the limo. He was soon rushed to the hospital, but reviving him proved fatal.

Lyndon B. Johnson became the 36th president on November 3, 1964. He took part of many important moments. For example the Voting Rights act 1965 that outlawed discriminatory literacy tests and authorized voter registration as well as an increase of minority voting. Now who could forget the Vietnam War August 1964? Vietnam torpedoed boats and the destroyer Maddox. In March 1968 President Johnson decided to make a halt of the war to the advantage of increasing peace. When January came around he had 3 heart attacks by the 22nd he passed away.

There’s always times and certain places that will never be forgotten. The presidents might be but not the situations they encountered to make them be remembered. I can say George W. Bush Jr was one of those presidents. He became the 43rd president on Nov 7, 2000. In my opinion he was the worst president after his father! Than again he is Bush senior’s son so I guess he had no choice…. Poor kid! Sometimes you end up being a president at a bad time, and this is one on Sept 11, 2001 an airplane hit the north tower of the World Trade Center in Manhattan, New York, while this incident took place Bush was at an elementary school listening to kids read when they notified him of the 2nd trade center being hit by another plane. Over 3000 people died. A terrorist attack never forgotten. Bush launched Operation Enduring Freedom on Afghanistan Oct 7, 2001; being responsible for the attack. Than soon after on 2002 Bush accused the Iraqi government of plotting to develop weapons of mass destruction thus starting the Iraq war that is still held today.

So far memories of words unearthed; images captured, today discrimination is not a factor yet alone slavery. Wars still at hand and better changes are being developed a new president is present that most definitely changes that nothing is impossible. Our 44th president Barack Obama (2008- ) first African American president expecting to change the world for his people