The Childhood's Paintbrush | Teen Ink

The Childhood's Paintbrush

March 29, 2019
By Spedroza21 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Spedroza21 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

 Nostalgia, the intangible beauty that many hope to find in their lives, sparks this powerful feeling of sadness as they watch their childhood flash before their eyes. From the early days of one’s childhood, the experiences they go through paints the world before their eyes, giving them a different spectacle for the future than another.  This feeling is bounded with the idea of having freedom in ones’ youth, and not having to worry about the future. These years are usually when nostalgia originates and takes a special place in ones’ memory. Frequently, video games are the main source of nostalgia as it’s either music or the gameplay itself. Minecraft, for example, was very popular during its early days, when everything was very limited and the main goal for the game was to survive. This sandbox game then transformed and dropped its limitations and prospered to be this new, diverse game with millions of options. Minecraft really impacted a great deal of people as seen by numerous people still treasuring their past experiences, wishing to be reborn to a time when Minecraft was entirely new to them. Through a teenager or adult’s perspective of nostalgia, they too, wish to go back to an earlier time to re-live those memories rather than just have a foggy memory of them. Overall, nostalgia is a boundless feeling that many people experience, and this feeling pushes people’s desire to go back in time, not to fix mistakes, but to re-live their past.
           

Minecraft, the limitless sandbox game, drags this feeling out to a whole different level. Nostalgia is prosperous in this game and is usually impacted by the players’ movements from when they first got the game. From the first couple of minutes to the countless hours spent in their blocky world, memories have come and gone. Many teenagers from the current century remember this game and treasure their memories of it, knowing that their experiences wouldn’t be re-enacted in the real world, not in the same way as before. This game brought countless people from different countries together to watch their own world unravel at the click of their mouse. In the past, people played together as a community and most importantly, in groups. Others collaborated with each other and built their world together, making teamwork more important than ever before. This game makes way for the wish to start over again, not in the sense of a new file, but to be exposed to the unknown of Minecraft’s potential. Even from day one, Minecraft’s impact could become the biggest part of one’s childhood.
           

This also ties in with the idea of having a good childhood, no worries, freedom and the soft feeling of parents right alongside someone. During this time, neither were there worries about what would happen tomorrow. In the future, time is cherished and countless worries slip into the day as a common routine. The past is seen as positive life, with the negative effects of it being filtered out, making just a hope for how the future should be. Nostalgia creates all of these feelings of the past. The people thinking of the positive version of the past crave the idea of having no worries and being free, which really creates the basis of nostalgia. From here, good experiences with games, friends, family, etc. drives nostalgia to the strong feeling known today. Nostalgia creates this new photo of the past, and makes many want to go back and time and re-live their early years, their good experiences and special moments. When life was simpler, things were more enjoyable, without the troubles and innumerable challenges faced in real life.
            Nostalgia is one of the most powerful feelings one feels in life. The feeling of nostalgia will never go away since the feeling of completion is never felt due to the loss of the past. Many people feel sadness and regret for not cherishing the past enough. Whereas others look at it in a positive way, happy for those memories rather than sad that they ended. Nostalgia really makes one sad to know that their past experiences will never be brought back to life and that they would have to stay the same person they are today, experiencing life in the same spectacle.  
           

Nostalgia, this immortal beauty will always travel alongside the journey to adult life. Nostalgia is a very peculiar feeling which makes people reminisce, feeling sadness as it slowly devours them and leaves them in tears. It makes countless amounts of people desiring to travel back in time so that the “good times” could be experienced once again. It makes one want to have the leniency that was given to them and taken for granted at youth, but taken away with the exposure to the real world. Video games, such as Minecraft, only enhance this feeling during adulthood, due to childhoods being spent with countless hours of gameplay, whilst revealing countless memories. Nostalgia, this mystical ball of mixed emotions, can be revealed within the depths of the soul and ought to be treasured forever.


The author's comments:

Nostalgia is a special feeling, one that can't be described in words.