Biography of Jacque-Yves Cousteau | Teen Ink

Biography of Jacque-Yves Cousteau

By Mariah Bormann SILVER, Elkhorn, Wisconsin
Mariah Bormann SILVER, Elkhorn, Wisconsin

One of the most famous oceanic explorers is Jacque Cousteau. He is an inspiration to me because he loved the ocean and would do anything for it, even thought his life was full of ups and downs.
Jacque Cousteau was born on June 11th, 1910 to Daniel and Elisabeth Cousteau. He was born in Saint-Andre-de-Cubzac, France. During the years of his child hood he became more and more interested in marine/ocean life, than ever before. On July 12th, 1937, Jacque married his first wife Simone Melchior; together they had two male children.
In 1942, Cousteau co-invented the Aqua Lung, which is known today as the Scuba Tank. Cousteau began his studies through the Aqua Lung, this was important because without it Cousteau wouldn’t have been able to search the ocean and continue his work. After that exciting time for Cousteau he had something more incredible happen to him. In 1950 he started traveling the world in his boat Calypso, to start changing marine life history. Cousteau was elected director of an Oceanographically Museum of Monaco.
Then in 1961 he was awarded the National Geographic’s Gold Medal at the White House. Jacque Cousteau got to meet Ronald Regan because he was being awarded the “Presidential Medal of Freedom”. By the time Cousteau left the United States he was the most popular French man there.
His life took a very sad turn 16 years later in 1991 when his first wife, Simone, died of cancer. But in June of that year he married Francine Triplet after Simone died because he missed his wife and wanted a companion. While Triplet and Cousteau were married they had, had two beautiful children; a boy and a girl. Through the long and wonderful life Cousteau lived he was known as “Captain Cousteau”. In the tragic year of 1997 Jacque Yves Cousteau was pronounced dead at the old age of 87 years on June 25th, 1997.
Today Francine and two of his four kids carry on his love and work to save and protect the ocean.

Jacque Cousteau is a very important personto me because my love for the ocean is the same as his was. When I grow up I'd like to be an oceanographer just like Coustea. TO THE READERS: I hope this articlehas to you alittle about Cousteas life ,what went on during his life and what a difference one person can make.