We Don't Need You Anymore | Teen Ink

We Don't Need You Anymore

April 23, 2009
By Tabatha Ballard BRONZE, Oil City, Louisiana
Tabatha Ballard BRONZE, Oil City, Louisiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Hello God it’s me. Yeah, I know you haven’t heard from me in awhile. I mean yeah I go to the prayer room for a few minutes before every service, and I talk to you when it’s just us, but I realize it’s been a while since I really fell on my face before you.





I’m sorry, I really am you see. I’ve just been so busy here lately with school, and all my friends and family, and church. Yeah God, church is awesome! Preacher preaches these great messages and the altar fills with the convicted saints, even back-sliders are coming back into the true presence of your power, but as soon as I get past the back door I realize that I can’t re member the title of the message much less the scripture. God, what you don’t see is when I’m out there in the world with my friends at work, school, or youth group they help me with my problems, they are there when I need a shoulder to lean on and to hear that everything’s gonna be alright.



I guess God what I’m trying to say is that I just don’t have time for you anymore. I can’t shout in church cause so-and-so20will talk about what I do at the next party, I can’t sit still cause we are all going out after church and if pastor preaches too long we have to stay in town. I can’t even pray anymore cause all my friends are out front and I haven’t been able to talk to them all day, besides the saint’s and elders are so loud I doubt you’d here me anyway. Anyways, if I spend too much time in the prayer room someone might take my seat and I won’t be able to sit by my best friend.



I guess I just don’t need you anymore. God don’t take it the wrong way I am grateful when you pour out your spirit and the Holy Ghost falls, it’s nothing personal I just don’t have the time for you anymore. Speaking of, God can you keep it short this Sunday? We are all wanting to go to Starbucks after service and you know how that works out.

















Sincerely,

















An Old Friend






How many of you can put yourself in that situation?






Now days we are so caught up in our own lives, our own feelings and what everyone else thinks that we don’t really worry about what God thinks or his feelings anymore. God is just a figure head to us today, the Holy Ghost is just a means to say that we are Christians. These days God is just another stereotype. There’s the Preps, the Weirdo’s, the Jocks, the Rich-Kids, the Geeks, the Average Joes, and the Christians. Just like everyone else we have our fun, rules, and problems. We turn our backs on those we don’t understand, we gossip and cheat, we talk about and rat-out our friends secrets behind their backs. We are just like everyone else except we are more righteous. We are God’s children so we are better than everyone else, when we talk about someone it’s okay cause we are telling the truth about them. It’s alright when we exclude people from our youth functions cause the church down the road will take them in, right?



We have put God on a shelf to collect dust!!!

Don’t get me wrong we pull him down and dust him off when we have a problem or when so-and-so hurts our feelings, but when the trouble is over we put him right back up there. We come to church to see our friends or to meet up before we go out, constantly watching the clock because we started tuning out the Man of God when we didn’t get his title, or when we realized that we had heard the message before, now we are bored to tears. He has to yell and scream, sweat and cry to keep our attention. We can’t even hear God’s still small voice over the music or was that our cell phone going off telling us we have a text from the person three seats down. At the altar call we are the first ones down, we cry louder than anyone, but at home we can never find the time to pray. We have our Bibles at every service and can find the scripture quicker than most saints, but at home our bibles just sit there collecting almost as much dust as our once shiny trophy called “God.”



He has always been there for us when we were the center of attention, not because our long hair was a glory unto God, but because it was too long. He was there when the guys laughed when we said that bible study was more important than the LSU pre-game party. He went with us every step of the way, whether it was the doctor, a school bully, or finals, yet when he calls out to us we are just too busy to answer, God just goes straight to voicemail. The only time we give him praise is in service, yeah we shout behind pastor when he preaches on brotherly love, yet we walk by the same hurting people everyday like we can’t even see them.



What have we done to God?



Who is he to us?
He has given us the greatest gift of all and we hide it. His love was given to all and we keep it locked inside.



Would you be willing to take his place?
Think we hurt him every single day, hiding our praise, turning from those in pain and not just those in the world we turn our backs on our own brothers and sisters in our youth groups. As much as we have hurt him yet he still loves us.

John 15:13
Greater love hath no man that this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

How much do you love him?

The author's comments:
I wrote this piece after listening to my Pastor's Wife teach a lesson on what it means to have a relationship with God.