Goodbye

“Goodbye.” Its two words, made into one. Two syllables. Two seconds to say. Two seconds to break a heart. So how come, when somebody says it to you, it seems to take an eternity for them to finish the first syllable and start on the last? You’re still holding your breath, aren’t you?

“Goodbye.” Such a little word. What devastation it causes. Yeah, go ahead and drown yourself in a pint of Rocky Road Ice Cream~ you deserve it, right? Or maybe, don’t eat at all. This will show them to turn the other cheek, right? You “need” them. You want them back. “Goodbye” doesn’t have to last forever, does it? Can it last only a week? Two weeks? Three weeks? You’re still waiting, aren’t you?

“Goodbye.” It leaves a gaping hole where they used to be. Does anybody want to stay here? Does anybody want to be my friend? Does anybody want to come and stay for a while? Loyal, very dependable. Trained, housebroken. For free, you’d be a steal. You would be a steal, if you had anything to offer. But you don’t, do you?

“Goodbye.” The beginning of “hello.” How so?

Somebody wanted to be your friend. “Knock knock.” You opened the door. You let them in.

“Hello.” It starts off slow. The mending process begins. It was painful at first; stranger danger, stranger danger. How do you know that hello won’t end with goodbye again? Your hand is still placed protectively on your heart, isn’t it?

“Hello.” It picks up speed. By now, they’ve already found a nice place in your heart, right next to your friends. The hole is still there, small, but there. You still shiver whenever the cold wind blows, don’t you?

“Hello.” You’re running. You don’t look behind you, no regrets, no regrets. They’ve moved a little bit closer to the core. You’re scared, aren’t you?

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

“Breathe!”

“…Bah bum, bah bum, bah bum.”

Ah. There it is again.

Hello, heartbeat.

It’s nice to hear you again.