Spirit of the Holidays | Teen Ink

Spirit of the Holidays

January 17, 2019
By Oromano21 BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
Oromano21 BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Christmas season is such a wonderful time of the year. Between the beautiful decorations, the sound of Christmas music, the never-ending Christmas movies, the excitement of giving, getting presents, and for most children, the anticipation for Santa; the holidays become such a magical time of the year. Although these thrills of the holidays seem so common and traditional, many people and families throughout the world do not get to live through the great experience of Christmas. Unfortunately, there are many families who cannot afford extravagant presents and decorate their homes. Though it may seem to be that there is no possible way to resolve this problem completely; there are many small actions that can be made to give back during this time of year. My school contributes every single year by hosting its annual Holiday Festival. This is a festival that ensures young kids who are less fortunate a fulfilled holiday experience.
At my school, Holiday Festival is a very important event of the year. The school partners with Roberto Clemente Elementary School in Paterson, NJ. Most kids who attend this school are not as lucky as others, and not all of their Christmas wishes are always received. As a result of this, my school does its best to make these wishes come true. Since the festival takes place at my school, preparation begins in October, and the event takes place during the first week of December. The festival is directed by one of the school’s Spanish teachers, and many students volunteer to help be a part of the occasion. There are multiple positions students can participate in, which is highly necessary, considering a substantial number of students wish to take part in this event. A popular position student signs up for is the escort position; each escort is assigned a student from Roberto Clemente. Then, the escorts will receive a packet containing information about their assigned student; name, age, size, grade, teacher, and a wish list of toys and interests. The packet also includes the room number of where the escorts will meet their assigned student, open presents, and an agenda of activities for the day of the festival. Another position that only the senior students can participate in is an elf. The elf’s job is to guide the Roberto Clemente students around the school to all of the activities prior to their lunch and gift opening. The third job that a student could sign up for is an actor/actress who will perform in a play that the elementary school students will watch. Lastly, there is the job for Santa Claus, a common favorite for the younger children. This is just some of the major parts that go into making a phenomenal day.


Once all of the positions are set in place, the big finale is the day of the festival. It is amazing to see how months of preparation can result in such a wonderful afternoon. The excitement of the day begins the day before, when the Holiday Festival Committee begins to decorate the school with both holiday decorations according to the chosen theme for the year. The next morning, students who are taking part in the festival enter school with their Holiday Festival t-shirt on; and, if one is an escort, they will be holding a gift for their assigned student from Roberto Clemente. For the first the periods of the school day, the escorts will attend class, like they normally would. Students who are preforming in the play and students participating as an elf will leave earlier. This is so they can prepare for when the Roberto Clemente children arrive at the school in the afternoon. When the Roberto Clemente students first enter the school, they are guided by their escorts into the auditorium, where they will watch a play presented by some students. After the play is finished, the elves will direct their children to their rooms where they will eat lunch; this is when the escorts leave class to meet their assigned child. Once the kids are done eating their lunch, the escorts and kids will move to their gift opening room, which is normally the cafeteria, gym, or library. It is such a heartwarming feeling to see the excitement on the younger children's faces when they open their presents. The rest of the day is spent with the escort and their child strolling around the school, going to different activities. My school provides bouncy houses and crafts to entertain the Roberto Clemente students. The students also donate books and new hats, scarfs, gloves and socks. Also, the library is designed as a gift shop, where Roberto Clemente students can go to with their escorts to choose a few items to take home as a gift for their family or friends for free. This event offers an endless amount of activities to provide the kids of Roberto Clemente, so they can have a joyful holiday season.


The true meaning of the holidays is to give back. As most people do, it is so easy to get distracted throughout the year. Although it may go unseen, there are people and families struggling, who are less fortunate enough to make all of their Christmas wishes come true. It is important that everyone appreciates what they have, since there are others in the world who are going through their own difficulties. The Holiday Festival is doubtlessly, an incredible eye-opening experience, and it is so inspiring to see how one day can immensely impact someone’s life. My school creates such a valuable experience for students from both school and Roberto Clemente. The small acts of kindness like these could make such a powerful difference. No one should spend the holidays alone or disconcerted. It is so meaningful to spread the Christmas spirit; my school has the best way of doing this.


I am a student and for the past two years now, I have been participating in the Holiday Festival as an escort. The memories are nothing but heartwarming and filled with joy. It is such an exhilarating feeling, knowing that I was able to fulfill the wishes of a young child, who may not be lucky enough to have the opportunity to receive their wants. I strongly believe that one change can make a difference, and that one change can go a long way. As a growing teen, I truly believe it is important to understand the reality that life has to offer; to realize that there are people out in the world dealing with serious problems. Personally, I believe it is important for schools to host school events likee the Holiday Festival, in order to teach others how important it is to understand the reality of life and to give back. The Holiday Festival is a perfect occasion that is both sentimental and enjoyable for all participants.


The Holiday Festival an inspiring experience that designed to give back to innocent kids who do not have the privilege of receiving their Christmas desires. Every year,my school provides students from both my school and Roberto Clemente Elementary School, an experience of a lifetime. Around times like the holidays, people begin to lose sight of the fact that there are people who are not as privileged as others. Giving back is an easy and simple way to help others who may not be able to be as fortunate as you. The Holiday Festival is a strong and effective way to give back and help others in need. During Christmas time, many little children spend their time writing lists to Santa and dreaming of all the amazing presents they will open on December 25th; therefore, it is just heartbreaking to know that there are kids who do not get to live out their Christmas fantasy. Since the traditional idea of Christmas seems so common, it is hard to believe that there are people who are not able to celebrate as they please; especially children. The most wonderful time of the year should be just as wonderful for everyone under any circumstances. This is why the Holiday Festival is a great way to give back, and a great example for others who are willing to complete the simple act of kin.