Nomophobia: What About You? | Teen Ink

Nomophobia: What About You?

By ananyagarg BRONZE, Fremont, California
ananyagarg BRONZE, Fremont, California
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

Phones are transforming your life. But, are they changing the world for good or bad? I want you to pause for a moment, and simply consider the number of times you have picked up your phone from the instant you woke up to right now. Is it 20? 30? More than 40? Your phone may be the first thing you notice when you wake up, sitting right next to your bed table. It is also probably the last item you touch before snoozing off to a good night’s sleep. So ask yourself: are you addicted to your phone?

Let’s take a step back and consider what the original purpose of the phone was. I still remember when I got my first phone. It was a simple phone. A. Flip. Phone. There wasn’t much I could do with it. Among its features were: calling my parents, calling my friends, and the occasional texting. If it’s not clear, the sole purpose of the phone was to call. To stay in touch. But the smartphones of this generation enable the human race to do everything, from playing games, chatting with strangers, and taking countless pictures. Look around. People texting, constantly listening to music, and playing games. Do you ever wonder, is your phone controlling you? Are you defying the intended purpose of the phone? Apps like Instagram, Facebook, Messenger, and Twitter can quickly begin to take over an individual’s life. You probably spend longer being on your phone than you do eating your breakfast, lunch, and dinner combined! Don’t believe me? Check your screen time right now. Recently, Apple released a new feature for iPhone users that lets them control their screen time. Clearly, it was due to to the overuse of phones, which has become a widespread problem throughout the world.

Nomophobia. The irrational fear of being apart from your phone. Actually, most people who have Nomophobia refuse to accept it. What about you? To find out if you have Nomophobia, ask yourself the following questions.

Do you become scared or irritated when the battery on your phone runs low? Do you feel frightened or have a “minor heart attack” if you can not find your phone? Do you become anxious without constantly checking your phone? If you leave your house and realize that you have forgotten your phone, do you immediately turn back to get your phone? Do you constantly need to check your phone even when it is unnecessary?

If you answered yes to 2 or more of these questions, chances are, you may be addicted to your phone. Now, don’t freak out, because most likely this is not something that happened in a snap. Instead, the addiction to your phone probably began years ago, gradually becoming a habit. It’s time to take control of your life and change before you have to. No one and nothing, I mean nothing, should have the power to take over your life. Control your phone and don’t let your phone control you.

Parents constantly tell their teens to get off their phones, but is that really working? I am among the vast majority of people that use their phones on a day to day basis, even for unnecessary things. Teens need to understand for themselves that phones need to be used correctly, and not be overused. Everything is unharming, but only in a limit.