Cleaner, Better | Teen Ink

Cleaner, Better

December 9, 2018
By Carolinecheatham GOLD, Ormond Beach, Florida
Carolinecheatham GOLD, Ormond Beach, Florida
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Take a walk to the beach. Not even touching the sand or the waves yet, you’ll probably be stepping on trash, making a crushing noise which takes away from the peacefulness of the waves crashing on the shore. These cans and bottles were most likely dropped by people who feel the sea is nothing but a useless body of water. The sea apparently resembles a trash can to tourists or disrespectful visitors. Every time I take a trip to the beach, it angers me that so many people lack the respect to take a short walk to throw their trash away, but instead leave it laying on the ground for anima ls to consume. If these tens of thousands of visitors could simply show some respect, and our beaches would be cleaner than ever. As a volleyball fundraiser in the previous years, we have taken a Saturday to clean the different sections of the beach that we were all assigned. But others will continue to replace the trash we picked up, completely nullifying our help. No matter how much awareness is raised about this issue, or how many heartbreaking pictures of turtles wrapped in plastic, people will still continue to litter the place that we call home.