I Believe | Teen Ink

I Believe

December 5, 2018
By Tangerine61 BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida
Tangerine61 BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Where there is hope, there are trials." - BTS


I believe that life is like an ocean. We all stand on our beach and look out onto life and the world. The colors of the water change, like the colors of our emotions and the colors of the world’s current state. The steel gray of a somber day or the bright turquoise of a joyful occasion display the day’s mood proudly. The tides change as different parts of our lives change. High tide arrives as many moments come to us, and low tide arrives as life slows down. I believe in life’s always changing moments.

I believe that different parts of our lives exist in different parts of our ocean. The past has already washed up to shore, picked up by our younger selves excitedly to add to a collection of shells. The present is currently arriving onto the shore and our current selves are picking up whatever it holds and observing it, deciding what to do with it. The future has yet to wash up, still residing within the blue depths. I believe that although I should plan for the future, I shouldn’t worry about those things until they arrive on the shore. Big things in the future are still by the sea’s horizon, and I shouldn't fret over them until they get pushed closer. I believe in living in the present.

I believe in the calming nature of the ocean. Sounds of waves washing to shore flow into the ears and soothe the mind, making the day’s worries ebb away. I also believe in the chaos the ocean can bring. The brewing of tremendous storm clouds overheard bring forth anxieties and concerns rapidly, sometimes leaving a devastating aftermath in their wake. No matter what though, the ocean returns to its calm state. I believe in a silver lining.

I believe in the mystery of the ocean. I believe in the deepest depths of our minds and lives that we can never understand, the many quirks and feelings we will never fully discover. The traits living in the surfaces of the ocean change constantly and help to shape who we are, molding our perception of ourselves and the world. I believe that there are some things we will never truly understand about ourselves and others.

I believe in BTS. I believe in seven young men who have inspired millions. I believe in their talent and their ability to fill hearts with joy. I believe in their ability to create masterpieces one moment and to make me laugh so hard my drink comes out of my nose the next. I believe in the song “Sea”. I believe in the lyric, “Where there is hope, there are trials.” I believe in their ability to defy the odds and break records, and I believe in their odds to continue on even when everyone else stops believing in them. I believe that I can also defy the odds and pave my path in life. I believe life is a sea.


The author's comments:

This essay was written for an AP Literature assignment. I had to write about a personal metaphor or something I believe in, so I chose to write about my personal comparisons between the ocean and life. My high school is directly across the street from the beach, so the ocean is always present in my life. One of my favorite songs, "Sea" by BTS, contains many references to the ocean, so that also contributes to my feelings about the ocean. Overall, this essay expressed a belief that has helped me get through the stress of my senior year and eased my mind whenever I begin to worry about the  future.