If I Were Mayor | Teen Ink

If I Were Mayor

By madisongeller GOLD, Austin, Texas
madisongeller GOLD, Austin, Texas

A mayor’s duty should be to do everything in their power to make the city that they live in the very best it can be. This means making sure everything is cost efficient, there are amenities for all walks of life including gyms, parks, stores, schools, libraries, and everything in between. The mayor should also make it his or her goal to make sure that life is running comfortably  and smoothly.

If I were mayor of Austin, Tx, I would first reduce property taxes because I believe that they are too high and the people of Austin deserve to live comfortably and not have to worry about paying too much for the necessity of shelter.  Currently, Austinites pay 1.86% on property taxes while neighboring cities like Georgetown only pay $.046 on their property tax. Although only 28.2 miles away, these two cities have very different ways of handling their money through taxes. Another thing that I would do to ensure the happiness of the citizens is find a solution to the terrible Austin traffic! It takes people in this city an hour and a half to get to and from their workplace that could be only ten to fifteen miles away from their homes. Last year, it would take me an hour to get to my school which was only five miles away! I would hire engineers to help me draw up plans for new roads and lanes on existing roads to make the commutes of the people of Austin more bearable

Another thing I would do as mayor is ensure there are a plethora of amenities for people to enjoy in all parts of Austin. Currently, I feel as though too much of Austin’s trendy restaurants, gyms, stores, and parks are downtown. It can be a huge burden to have to drive 20 miles just to get a decent but fun workout in. I would make it my duty to establish many of these places all over Austin in places like Lakeway, Bee Cave, Four Points, and everywhere in between.

If all of these much needed changes were made to the city of Austin, the quality of life would improve immensely, and the wellbeing of the citizens of Austin would be much better than it currently is.