How to Prepare and Study for Finals | Teen Ink

How to Prepare and Study for Finals

By thoughtfulessness GOLD, Salem, New Hampshire
thoughtfulessness GOLD, Salem, New Hampshire

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt

All you want to do is go home. However, there is ONE hurdle in your way: finals. It’s that time of year again. Finals season. What is the most efficient way to prepare and study for finals? Well, I suppose it depends on the final. Is the final a take-home essay, or is it a final exam?

How does one go about each? Here are the tips I generally follow.

Final: Exam

1. I begin by considering all the material I have learned throughout the course.
2. Then, I go through my notes and decide what information I have a good grasp on, what I think I know, and then what I need to study more to understand fully. (I will use different colors to denote each).
3. I will then rewrite my notes, using colored pens, highlighters, etc. (colors make everything better!) each day as my study tool.
4. The day of the exam, I go through my notes once more, by simply reading through them, and practicing areas that may still need some clarification.

Final: Take-home Essay

1. I begin by reading the prompt, underlining/ highlighting the key points of it.
2. Then, I outline my thoughts.
3. Afterwards, I go paragraph by paragraph and write each. Typically, I write my body paragraphs before my introduction and conclusion since the boy paragraphs dictate the thesis, etc.
4. Lastly, after I have written the paper, I will go back and edit, edit, and edit!

I hope these tips are helpful! Good luck to those with exams and essays!

How do you study for a final exam? How do you write a take-home paper? Here are the tips I follow to prepare for finals!