Anxiety | Teen Ink

Anxiety

October 5, 2016
By TashiyaB BRONZE, Indianapolis , Indiana
TashiyaB BRONZE, Indianapolis , Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Anxiety
I was in class ready to present a big project I had been working on. I was next to present and all of a sudden I had sweat pouring down my forehead, hands were shaking like an earthquake, and heart pounding like a drum. “For teens or anyone else , anxiety is a normal reaction to stress. Things like tests, meeting new people, speaking in public, going on a date, competing in  sports, can make us feel apprehensive or uneasy,” (Anxiety and Teens ). As a teenager, those are some of the challenges I have faced.
Studying
For teens anxiety is another reaction to stress. For example a test, you had been studying for a test for hours, you are really worried, you think you might fail the test so you keep studying.That will cause you to forget what you studied  and cause even more stress to your brain.  Also, studying for a test at the last minute can make you feel overwhelmed  and anxious.”Previous problems or bad experiences with test-taking can lead to a negative mindset and influence performance on future test,” (Test Anxiety | Anxiety and Depression...).
Meeting New People
Making new friends can be scary. You feel like you have butterflies in your stomach when you are talking to a stranger, or even feel self-conscious just by walking down a hallway. “Underlying social anxiety disorders or social phobia is the fear of being scrutinized, judged, or embarrassed in public. You may be afraid that people  will think badly of you or that you won’t measure up in comparison to others.  And even though you probably realized that your fears of being judged are at least somewhat and irrational and overblown, you still can help feeling anxious,” (Social Anxiety Disorder and Social Ph...).
Sports
Before competing for anything your heart thumps in a snap. You think am I going to win or lose?  You may be nervous because you have an audience or you are just too excited or nervous that you think you'll win or lose. “An athlete should first determine if thoughts of doubt, failure or lack of confidence are due to a perceived lack of ability. If so, the self-talk will generally lead to continued feelings of anxiety, nervousness, and tension.  Athletes need to realize that it's tough to do your best in a sport when your own internal voice is telling you otherwise,”(Tips for Overcoming Performance Anxiety...). By stressing yourself more before playing a sport will only make you lose focus.

Anxiety can be very hard for a teenagers it can be self-diagnosed.  Teens can get very stress over many different things. Test taking, social meetings and competing in a sport, are examples of teenage stressful issues. When I am stressed out, I stop what I’m doing and take long deep breaths, I also listen to music and laugh out loud it really helps.When teens or anyone, are stressed, they should try to find peace by connecting with others, getting enough sleep or exercise, or connecting with nature.With all the articles I’ve read I have learned a lot about  anxiety. This helped me and I hope this can help someone else.


Works Cited
"Anxiety and Teens." WebMD, http://teens.webmd.com/anxiety-and-teens

“Overcoming Performance Anxiety with Sports Psychology.” Verywell, July 6,2016 https://www.verywell.com/sports-psychology-for-performance-anxiety-3119436

“Social Anxiety Disorder and social Phobia” Help guide, http://www.helpguide.org/articles/anxiety/social-anxiety-disorder-and-social-phobia.htm

“Test Anxiety” ADAA, https://www.adaa.org/living-with-anxiety/children/test-anxiety


“Understanding Anxiety Disorders” News in Health, March 2016 https://newsinhealth.nih.gov/issue/mar2016/feature1