Olympic Swimming | Teen Ink

Olympic Swimming

By DanielCunningham BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
DanielCunningham BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana

Olympic Swimming

Ever since April,6,1896 people have been swimming In the olympics, I'm guessing they do it because they like to otherwise they would need to quit(haha). The very first swimming events in the olympics were the backstroke and the freestyle, so i guess you could say we’ve come a long way. The average age of  male swimmer in 2016 is 23.3. Swimming is a major sport that many kids aspire to grow up and do. Swimming can benefit the body vastly, it can benefit your body’s mental and physical health  and it's a great profession, you also earn a lot of money from just winning alone.
The Benefits
Swimming can help your body’s health immensely. Swimming builds muscular endurance and strength. It also benefits your Heart rate and keeps it up to a normal range.  Swimming is a great way to boost mental health also. Its also a great recreational activity. Swimming is a great profession (“Swimming - Health Benefits”)
Professional Facts
Swimming is a  job that combines a hobby (Something you love to do) and a sport. The average swimmer do “10 backstrokes per minute” according. If you don't feel up to do that would not recommend becoming a swimmer. The Chances that you can get into the olympics are very small, Dr. G. John Mullen  said  that on average out of 1,850 people that get to olympic trials 50 of the will make it.that's how small your chances are, but you can still try. (“15 Weird Swimmer Facts”)

Ryan lochte;
An american olympic
medalist that has won (6) gold medals, 
(3) Bronze medals, and
(3)Silver medals

Money,Money, Money               
The american olympic  swimmer of 2004, 2008, 2012, and 2016 ;Ryan lochte  is thought  to take over $2 Million when he goes home from the olympics. The olympic swimmer that wins a Bronze Medal earns $10 Thousand, Silver $15 Thousand, and Gold $25 Thousand. That means that since Ryan Lochte has won 6 Gold medals,three Bronze medals and, 3 Silver medals, it means he has earned $225,000 in olympic winnings. I guess it's safe to say they are living the dream life.(“How Olympic Athletes Make a Living - Sports Management Degree Hub”)(Taylor)
(http://www.teamusa.org/usa-swimming/athletes/Ryan-Lochte)(“Ryan Lochte”)

In conclusion being an olympic swimmer is a once in a lifetime opportunity. It provides many benefits like it builds muscle endurance, mental and physical strength. It is a great professional  job and a great way to combine a hobby with work. Olympic swimmers earn a lot of money. If you'd like to swim in the olympics when you grow up and you loved what you read, then becoming an olympic swimmer is the perfect job for you!

Work Cited page
“15 Weird Swimmer Facts.” Swimming World News. N.p., 15 Mar. 2016. Web. 22 Sept. 2016.
“How Olympic Athletes Make a Living - Sports Management Degree Hub.” Sports Management Degree Hub. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Sept. 2016.
“Ryan Lochte.” Team USA. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Sept. 2016.
“Swimming - Health Benefits.” N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Sept. 2016.
Taylor, Adam. “Here’s How Much Olympic Athletes Really Get Paid.” Business Insider. N.p., 19 July 2012. Web. 22 Sept. 2016.